Trams — and Bloody-minded Edwardian Yorkshire Dads

Remember the old half-penny? They were 24 to the shilling, and when wages were 30 shillings a week or less they were valuable! So valuable that my Edwardian Yorkshire dad always wanted his moneysworth, even on Sheffield’s trams.

Before the second world war, a half fare for a child on Sheffield’s trams was a halfpenny. However, the transport department’s rules and regulations said that any child occupying a seat when a tram was full, had to give up that seat to an adult, fare-paying passenger. But not my dad! His arguments on trams were legend. I was perfectly willing to abide by the STD’s rules and regulations, but I tend to think he was always hell-bent on changing them.

“He’s paid his money so he’s entitled to his seat,” my dad used to say. He would never budge from that position, and I think most tram conductors agreed with him. Certainly, he was never prosecuted or even asked to pay the full fare, which would have entitled me to have had the seat come what may!

I don’t know how true this particular episode is, but downstairs on Sheffield trams there were once signs saying “Smoking Not Allowed.” Legend has it that a smoker who lit up despite the notice was prosecuted through the courts but escaped punishment after pointing out that the sign (read it carefully or put a comma after Not) implied that passengers were allowed not to smoke, which again implied that if they wanted to smoke they could. Following that legendary court case, the Transport Department changed all the signs to “Smoking Prohibited”. I’d like to think this was true, but is it? Do you know?

I remember the signs "No Spitting" on street gaslamps. I think this was when TB was rife. The quality of the air was also disgusting during the famous Sheffield smogs and many men hawked their lungs up.

Archived