Cyclists with dazzling lights

This is where you are going wrong. Cycling near to the kerb encourages motorists to overtake when it is unsafe to do so. The government's cycle training scheme teaches people to normally ride in the middle of the lane - see the book Cyclecraft, which is the handbook for the government's cycle training scheme.

I think it's a little presumptuous to assume motorists will patiently hold back until they get a opportunity to pass. White van man certainly wont, nor will those eager to get to work or get home. Furthermore I'm not prepared to take the very real risk of spending the rest of my life in a wheelchair because government guidelines encouraged me to stem the flow of traffic.

In an ideal world we'd have cycle lanes to encourage others. Believe it or not I actually arrive at work full of zest, ready for the day. Whilst those who arrived cuddled in their cars hog the coffee machine or heater or in most cases...both.

I think it's a little presumptuous to assume motorists will patiently hold back until they get a opportunity to pass. White van man certainly wont, nor will those eager to get to work or get home. Furthermore I'm not prepared to take the very real risk of spending the rest of my life in a wheelchair because government guidelines encouraged me to stem the flow of traffic.

In an ideal world we'd have cycle lanes to encourage others. Believe it or not I actually arrive at work full of zest, ready for the day. Whilst those who arrived cuddled in their cars hog the coffee machine or heater or in most cases...both.

Like you said before, you've been hit by wing mirrors 4 times. If you ride in a position where cars can't attempt to overtake, then you won't get hit anymore.

I don't ride in the middle of the lane all the time, but, any situation where I judge it dangerous for a car to overtake me (e.g. approaching a central reservation) then I take the center position.

There are a portion of drivers on the roads who are inept, and will try to squeeze past cyclists, putting the cyclists life in danger.

Adopting a central position eliminates that threat.

I think it's a little presumptuous to assume motorists will patiently hold back until they get a opportunity to pass. White van man certainly wont, nor will those eager to get to work or get home.
What other option do they have? Deliberately running into the back of you?

Furthermore I'm not prepared to take the very real risk of spending the rest of my life in a wheelchair because government guidelines encouraged me to stem the flow of traffic.

You're taking the risk now. You've been hit 4 times! I take central position (when necessary) and have been hit zero times.

Presumptuous to assume that people should drive safely?

Some don't, and that's exactly why you shouldn't ride in the gutter.

Well I cycle to and from work every day in all weathers.

Things I've learnt is that most motorists couldn't care less about me. I cycle as close to the kerb as possible (usually inside the lines) so as not to obstruct traffic. Rear flashing light, front single light 1AA battery on flashing to grab motorists attention and another 1200 lumens light pointing downwards to see where I'm going.

In 2 years I've been hit by wing mirrors 4 times.

Eventually I will probably get knocked off and the handlebar camera will hopefully capture the incident and lead to criminal conviction. I'm currently debating fitting a rear facing camera too....just to be certain I capture enough to prosecute.

I would strongly advise going on a national cycling standard course. You are putting yourself in danger riding like you do. Hugging the curb allows drivers to squeeze past, you need to be in control of when they can pass by riding in the middle of the lane when it is not safe and pulling over when there is space to pass. I ride like this and have never been clipped by a wing mirror or knocked off (15+ years of riding in traffic...)

http://bikeability.org.uk/

Edited by TimmyR

Motorists would be the first to complain if they were injured and killed so often as cyclists.

So if flashing lights help to attract the attention of vacant motorists, then they're necessary, not a problem.

1700 or so people died on the Uk roads last year. Just over 100 were cyclists.

I’ll leave you to consider the veracity of your post :suspect:

Thats a considerable misuse of statistics as it takes no account of the number of cyclists compared to other road users. Read this:

Relative risk of different forms of transport, Great Britain: 2011

Casualty rate per billion vehicle miles

-----------------Killed----Killed or seriously injured

Car driver --------3-------26

Pedestrian *------42------542

Pedal cyclist -----35------1,035

Motorcycle rider--122-----1,868

* 2010 National Travel Survey data were used to calculate 2011 pedestrian rates

Source: Table RAS30070, DfT Reported road accidents and casualties, Great Britain

That is the risk of being killed or seriously injured not the overall numbers. Its FAR higher for a cyclist. Even the above isn't a true reflection of the risk because it should be per hour travelled not distance. The time take for a cyclist to cover distance is greater than a car so the risk is really even higher still.

Edited by TimmyR

Now perhaps you can divide the deaths by the number of journey miles travelled.

I'll leave you to consider absolute numbers versus relative ones when making comparisons.