Railway parking madness

Why didn’t you use the Q park? Free for 30 mins, isn’t it

I have to pick up about once a week and go in the Q Park, free for up to 30 minutes. Sometimes it's hard to get in there coming from Chesterfield Road thanks to all those who can't be bothered to use the Q Park and totally jam the small pick up area causing chaos.

I do use the drop off zone to do just that, departing as soon as I've dropped off. I really can't understand why anyone should lock their car there and walk away, or sit there texting, but it's almost certain there'll be someone doing that at this moment. There usually is..

The jams of taxis on both sides of the road aren't too helpful either, but it's not them causing the worst hold ups, and I'm sure their drivers are as iritated as I am by the situation.

It's rare to have to wait as much as 5 minutes to get in, although when you're in a hurry it seems longer. 20 minutes sounds like a geat exaggeration, only likely if the whole of the city were gridlocked - which, of course, does sometimes happen!

In Dronfield, the half car park that is available by the station is now subject to a parking charge. The side roads nearby are now chocca.....

There was a problem at Dronfield of non rail users parking in the station car park, the school being one of the culprits. The idea is genuine rail passengers pay to use the car park and others who shouldn't be there have been flushed out and are now parking on street.

If you live on the South side of Sheffield, use Chesterfield.

Well laid out, less expensive, Ok to wait for a few minutes FOC to pick up someone off the train, no stress. Easy to move with your suitcase, no taxi graveyard, etc.

I agree, Sheffield Midland approached by car is a nightmare. The genius who designed the layout should be made to live there, a sort of modern day Sisyphus......

Unless you're heading south on a cross-country train as every other train doesn't stop there.

To everyone insulting the OP, his post reads like the traffic to enter the station area started on the road next to Remar and therefore even if he was actually trying to get the free car park (which he may well have been!) he'd still have been stuck in traffic caused by terrible road planning.

I've been caught there a few times in similarly awful traffic and you really just wonder what on earth the council were thinking. It's been re-worked twice and is still considerably worse than it was before the re-modelling.

To everyone insulting the OP, his post reads like the traffic to enter the station area started on the road next to Remar and therefore even if he was actually trying to get the free car park (which he may well have been!) he'd still have been stuck in traffic caused by terrible road planning.

I've been caught there a few times in similarly awful traffic and you really just wonder what on earth the council were thinking. It's been re-worked twice and is still considerably worse than it was before the re-modelling.

I think you're right. The OPs post wasn't very clear, but yes, sometimes you have a heck of a job just getting to the Q Park.

Years ago, before the whole re-jig, do you remember how the taxi rank was about 5 taxis wide? You could get multiple cabs loading at once. Now they all have to queue up behind each other, which is a terrible bottleneck.

Unless you're heading south on a cross-country train as every other train doesn't stop there.

All the trains going south from Sheffield stop at Chesterfield apart from a few Cross Country trains to Reading and beyond during the day. Connect at Derby for these.

All trains to Nottingham, Peterborough and beyond, Bristol and beyond and London stop

All the trains going south from Sheffield stop at Chesterfield apart from a few Cross Country trains to Reading and beyond during the day. Connect at Derby for these.

All trains to Nottingham, Peterborough and beyond, Bristol and beyond and London stop

Half the XC trains don't stop at Chesterfield, the one's that run via Doncaster.

Don't be silly he might have to walk a short distance .

And there is both the problem and the solution.

There are far too many people who have forgotten what their legs are for.

God forbid they should have to walk more than a few yards:rolleyes:

Edited by Daven