Why is not having motor insurence a police matter?

Rule 244 of the Highway Code states that you must not park fully or even partly on the pavement unless road signs permit it: in London, it’s an offence to park on the pavement, full stop.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/features/driving-offences-you-didnt-know-were-illegal/

Driving on the pavement, this offence was introduced way back in time by the Highways Act 1835 (section 72) which states that is an offence is caused by: “driving on any footpath or causeway by the side of any road made or set apart for the use or accommodation of foot passengers“.

Highway Code Rule 145 states: “You MUST NOT drive on or over a pavement, footpath or bridleway except to gain lawful access to property, or in the case of an emergency“. Since January 1999 a fixed penalty notice can be issued which is handy because it makes if much simpler for the police to action. The offender get issued with a ticket with fine and points attached unless they appeal in which case it goes to court.

That's great, but that doesn't help answer how you came to a conclusion that the police choose not to pursue it because you haven't heard it in a court or the news.

Rule 244 of the Highway Code states that you must not park fully or even partly on the pavement unless road signs permit it: in London, it’s an offence to park on the pavement, full stop.

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/features/driving-offences-you-didnt-know-were-illegal/

Driving on the pavement, this offence was introduced way back in time by the Highways Act 1835 (section 72) which states that is an offence is caused by: “driving on any footpath or causeway by the side of any road made or set apart for the use or accommodation of foot passengers“.

Highway Code Rule 145 states: “You MUST NOT drive on or over a pavement, footpath or bridleway except to gain lawful access to property, or in the case of an emergency“. Since January 1999 a fixed penalty notice can be issued which is handy because it makes if much simpler for the police to action. The offender get issued with a ticket with fine and points attached unless they appeal in which case it goes to court.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Will4/5-6/50/section/72

---------- Post added 29-10-2017 at 22:05 ----------

Not a problem, but surely getting potentially unsafe vehicle without an MOT should be more of a priority, yet the police turn a blind eye to parked cars without an MOT.

For a police officer to issue a car a ticket for no mot, the driver must be present! Govt guidelines!!

How long would you suggest a police officer waits for a driver to come out and drive his car in order for him to issue a ticket?

As for potentially unsafe vehicles, a 30 year old car is exempt from mot!

How do you know tickets haven't been issued for parking on pavements or driving on a pavement?

For a police officer to issue a car a ticket for no mot, the driver must be present! Govt guidelines!!

How long would you suggest a police officer waits for a driver to come out and drive his car in order for him to issue a ticket?

Have any councillors or MPs made an issue of this, to make things easier for the police?

No, they are happy to let the problem of illegal vehicles persist.

---------- Post added 29-10-2017 at 22:38 ----------

That's great, but that doesn't help answer how you came to a conclusion that the police choose not to pursue it because you haven't heard it in a court or the news.

I will watch the news tomorrow.

I must admit I haven't renewed my insurance since it ran out last week.

Ill be sorting it at the end of next week though and luckily for me the roads I drive on have no ANPR cameras and I haven't seen a police car on them in years.

You will not show up on any ANPR camera unless you have been flagged for some reason, not being insured wont get you on that list.

Do you ever venture on roads with cars parked, partially or fully on the pavement? Do you think they're all about to be prosecuted?

Do you ever venture on roads with cars parked, partially or fully on the pavement? Do you think they're all about to be prosecuted?

Yes, I've seen cars parked on pavements.

I've not idea if they get all get a ticket, I don't stick around long enough. Do I think they're all going to get a ticket, I doubt it.

It probably isn't that high on a list of priorities.

I'm not sure where you're going with this?

Edited by SnailyBoy