Why is not having motor insurence a police matter?

I must admit I haven't renewed my insurance since it ran out last week.

Ill be sorting it at the end of next week though and luckily for me the roads I drive on have no ANPR cameras and I haven't seen a police car on them in years.

I must admit you're a nincompoop. If you have an accident you are screwed, do you know how much an insurance claim costs? And you will be liable for it. Lose your house and everything.

That's great, but that doesn't help answer how you came to a conclusion that the police choose not to pursue it because you haven't heard it in a court or the news.

Have you ever driven along a street in crooks/walkley/hillsborough/sharrow or anywhere where there are narrow streets with terraced housing? The streets were not designed for cars. There are cars there parked at all times on the pavement. No one ever gets a ticket. There is also the law of it being illegal to cycle on pavements - it was advised by the home office that this law should not be enforced other than in extreme cases (such as the maniac in london who killed someone). The law against prostitution (being paid for sex) is generally not enforced because the women are generally seen as victims (pimping and paying for sex generally is enforced though) The other option is making it legal but that is a complex issue.

Edited by TimmyR

Have you ever driven along a street in crooks/walkley/hillsborough/sharrow or anywhere where there are narrow streets with terraced housing? The streets were not designed for cars. There are cars there parked at all times on the pavement. No one ever gets a ticket.

Maybe the police are using their discretion, maybe they've more pressing things to do.

What's your point?

I must admit you're a nincompoop. If you have an accident you are screwed, do you know how much an insurance claim costs? And you will be liable for it. Lose your house and everything.

Yep a foolish person for not having insurance. But some people just think they are better drivers so won't be involved in an accident.

---------- Post added 30-10-2017 at 07:14 ----------

Maybe the police are using their discretion, maybe they've more pressing things to do.

What's your point?

The point is that the police have the power to use their discretion when applying laws. Something that you seemed quite surprised by a few posts back and then were demanding evidence for.

Edited by TimmyR

Driving on the pavement, smoking in a car next to a child, in Northern Ireland, paying for sex, the sale of alcohol to a person who is already drunk .....

blasphemy

The law on blasphemy was repealed. But what makes you think that it's the police that decide.

I didn't say that there weren't laws that aren't heavily enforced, I said it wasn't the police that decided.

---------- Post added 30-10-2017 at 07:22 ----------

You are still as safe as you were last month, but you are breaking a monetary law.

Is this entire thread just so that you can have a rant about the supposed injustice of requiring 3rd party insurance?

If dimple hits someone now, he may be unable to pay their medical costs, not to mention the much smaller costs of repairing the damage.

Hopefully he'll get caught and his car will be crushed.

---------- Post added 30-10-2017 at 07:23 ----------

I imagine you are an intelligent person, stop being difficult.

Oooh, setting yourself for a witty reply there, but, must, resist.

---------- Post added 30-10-2017 at 07:24 ----------

There’s a legal requirement to be insured.

The police are tasked to enforce it, otherwise people wouldn’t bother paying the policy fee,

Can’t see why the OP finds this concept so difficult !

Because he doesn't like this law, so he's creating a narrative where he can have a rant about it.

---------- Post added 30-10-2017 at 07:25 ----------

Not a problem, but surely getting potentially unsafe vehicle without an MOT should be more of a priority, yet the police turn a blind eye to parked cars without an MOT.

Because being parked without an MOT isn't an offence, being driven is.

Yep a foolish person for not having insurance. But some people just think they are better drivers so won't be involved in an accident.

---------- Post added 30-10-2017 at 07:14 ----------

The point is that the police have the power to use their discretion when applying laws. Something that you seemed quite surprised by a few posts back and then were demanding evidence for.

No, what I asked for was evidence for a list of laws that the poster claimed the police chose not to pursue #8

The evidence was that the poster hadn't seen any of the crimes in court or on the news. #15

At no time did I claim that the police didn't use their discretion.

No, what I asked for was evidence for a list of laws that the poster claimed the police chose not to pursue #8

The evidence was that the poster hadn't seen any of the crimes in court or on the news. #15

At no time did I claim that the police didn't use their discretion.

and this is the point I go and do something more constructive....

Have you ever driven along a street in crooks/walkley/hillsborough/sharrow or anywhere where there are narrow streets with terraced housing? The streets were not designed for cars. There are cars there parked at all times on the pavement. No one ever gets a ticket. There is also the law of it being illegal to cycle on pavements - it was advised by the home office that this law should not be enforced other than in extreme cases (such as the maniac in london who killed someone). The law against prostitution (being paid for sex) is generally not enforced because the women are generally seen as victims (pimping and paying for sex generally is enforced though) The other option is making it legal but that is a complex issue.

There is no law against prostitution. Paying for sex or being paid for sex is not illegal.

And the maniac in London who killed someone was on the road and she stepped out in front of him, his mistake was to not have a front brake.

---------- Post added 30-10-2017 at 07:29 ----------

I claimed that they don't choose which laws to enforce, he was trying to prove that they do.

They have priorities set by civilian authorities though, at the moment by the elected police commissioner.

I'm sure Cid can email him and ask him to deprioritize driving without insurance because he thinks it's unfair or something.

There is no law against prostitution. Paying for sex or being paid for sex is not illegal.

And the maniac in London who killed someone was on the road and she stepped out in front of him, his mistake was to not have a front brake.

---------- Post added 30-10-2017 at 07:29 ----------

I claimed that they don't choose which laws to enforce, he was trying to prove that they do.

They have priorities set by civilian authorities though, at the moment by the elected police commissioner.

I'm sure Cid can email him and ask him to deprioritize driving without insurance because he thinks it's unfair or something.

ok i should have had a cup of coffee before posting...I shall go and do that now.

Because being parked without an MOT isn't an offence, being driven is.

When parked on a public road, you do need a valid MOT and convictions have occurred.

The wording of the law involves "use" of a vehicle on a road, not "driving" and this has been tested on court.

Edited by cgksheff