Why is not having motor insurence a police matter?

I must admit you're a nincompoop. If you have an accident you are screwed, do you know how much an insurance claim costs? And you will be liable for it. Lose your house and everything.

And I must admit I was partaking in a little bit of leg pulling.

Because being parked without an MOT isn't an offence, being driven is.

When parked on a public road, you do need a valid MOT and convictions have occurred.

The wording of the law involves "use" of a vehicle on a road, not "driving" and this has been tested on court.

So they will do nothing, I thought the police were meant to prevent crime. That is why they do home visits for security.

You will not show up on any ANPR camera unless you have been flagged for some reason, not being insured wont get you on that list.

If your reg no. isn't on the database of insured cars then you will be "on that list"

---------- Post added 30-10-2017 at 14:40 ----------

You are still as safe as you were last month, but you are breaking a monetary law.

What would happen if Dimple were to crash into your car while uninsured? How happy would you be?

If your reg no. isn't on the database of insured cars then you will be "on that list"

---------- Post added 30-10-2017 at 14:40 ----------

What would happen if Dimple were to crash into your car while uninsured? How happy would you be?

Then they must be very slow in catching people then, I know at least 20 uninsured, untaxed and untested vehicles that are being used daily by their owners and have been for as long as I can remember and none of them ever seem get a pull, whats going on ?

Then they must be very slow in catching people then, I know at least 20 uninsured, untaxed and untested vehicles that are being used daily by their owners and have been for as long as I can remember and none of them ever seem get a pull, whats going on ?

How often is the average motorist get followed by a police care, once every 6 months?

Excluding Sundays, it is perfectly legal to shoot a Scotsman with a bow and arrow.

No cows may be driven down the roadway between 10 AM and 7 PM unless there is prior approval from the Commissioner of Police.

http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/international/united-kingdom

The one concerning cows on the road between 10 and 7 seem like common sense to me :)

It seems a sensible law for the police to enforce.

They are patrolling anyway. Quite often people who are stopped for no insurance are already banned or are unqualified drivers so there is a public safety angle to it. These ‘motorists’ can be removed from the road immediately by the police when caught.

And, a not so obvious benefit is that people who may be tempted not to get insurance are protected from themselves. Ask yourself whether you are willing to risk being made bankrupt if you are run through the courts by somebody you injure or whose property you damage.