Why is not having motor insurence a police matter?

These ‘motorists’ can be removed from the road immediately by the police when caught.

Half a million motorists driving without insurance because court fines are just 'a fraction' of the cost of annual premiums

Figures released after Freedom of Information request.

If there are half a million, does something need to change, because there will still be half a million next year.

Read more: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-2596859/Half-million-motorists-driving-without-insurance-fines-just-fraction-cost-premium.html#ixzz4x2NDigin

Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

So they will do nothing, I thought the police were meant to prevent crime. That is why they do home visits for security.

How is this related to the crime of not having insurance?

---------- Post added 31-10-2017 at 07:44 ----------

Then they must be very slow in catching people then, I know at least 20 uninsured, untaxed and untested vehicles that are being used daily by their owners and have been for as long as I can remember and none of them ever seem get a pull, whats going on ?

Firstly, why haven't you reported them?

Secondly, how do you know the status of those cars?

---------- Post added 31-10-2017 at 07:45 ----------

Half a million motorists driving without insurance because court fines are just 'a fraction' of the cost of annual premiums

Figures released after Freedom of Information request.

If there are half a million, does something need to change, because there will still be half a million next year.

Don't believe what you read in the dailymail, they make it up and outright lie.

And uninsured cars are now crushed aren't they?

'Why is not having motor insurence a police matter?'

My question is (on this topic) - Why can private profit making companies dictate the charge of what is essentially a legal requirement?

-

I think I saw - but sure I'll be corrected - in AUS, they pay for a tax disc (or rego) and it includes 3rd party insurance.

Though I'm a fan of free-enterprise, and I generally don't like government run schemes, this is something that I would prefer.

I'm conned left-right and centre by this legal requirement because of my [now previous] employment.

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

Something that is legally required should be state owned/controlled.

It seems fairly reasonable to me - far from a rip off.

I pay about £350 a year to insure a car that is £25k and indemnify myself against personal injury claims. That sounds like a good deal.

I certainly don’t have the spare cash required to pay for even a fender bender, let alone a major accident.

It seems fairly reasonable to me - far from a rip off.

I pay about £350 a year to insure a car that is £25k and indemnify myself against personal injury claims. That sounds like a good deal.

I certainly don’t have the spare cash required to pay for even a fender bender, let alone a major accident.

Imagine having to pay for this...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Heck_rail_crash#Aftermath

I agree with this wholeheartedly.

Something that is legally required should be state owned/controlled.

It’s possibly a good idea, but surely there would have to be some way of rewarding careful drivers with a lower fee, and punishing poor drivers with a higher fee.

Firstly, why haven't you reported them?

Secondly, how do you know the status of those cars?

Firstly, do not make presumptions about any action I might or might not have taken.

Secondly, see how easy it is to run checks on the internet and on various apps regarding a vehicles status.

Excluding Sundays, it is perfectly legal to shoot a Scotsman with a bow and arrow.

No cows may be driven down the roadway between 10 AM and 7 PM unless there is prior approval from the Commissioner of Police.

http://www.dumblaws.com/laws/international/united-kingdom

I got stuck behind some cows being herded up the road by a farmer, when I was driving up to Penistone. I'm glad they didn't come near me, because I had the roof down.

One of the cows bumped sideways into a car waiting to come the other way, the driver pushed it away. I imagine a full grown cow could cause quite some dints to a car's bodywork.

That's great, but that doesn't help answer how you came to a conclusion that the police choose not to pursue it because you haven't heard it in a court or the news.

So you think I just haven't seen prosecutions for this offence on the news, and the police did actually do it before it was repealed in 1960?

http://archery.mysaga.net/archlaws.html

Or perhaps they have made a decision to no longer prosecute this offence? It then follows there may be other offences they choose not to prosecute. And there is certainly anecdotal indications they choose not to investigate properly certain types of crime due to resource issues.