Opinions wanted on sensitive issue

Originally Posted by mafya

You did the right thing, it was unprofessional and they should conduct themselves in a better manner whilst working in other people's homes.

Mafya - as a proud Muslim, one would have thought that you would follow the tenets of your faith re forgiveness. The man/men were wrong in saying what they did in an unguarded moment but it was not appropriate to risk a man’s livelihood which could impinge on other, innocent people. If we have speech we are all at risk of saying wrong things - that is part of the human condition. The OP could have given this matter some thought before reacting and dealt with it in a more sensitive way.

I had two workmen in my council property recently and they made a joke about terrorists and one of them shouted 'Allahu Akbar'. Without going into detail I reported them and the one that said that got a warning from his manager. I was very offended that they made a joke about terrorists due to all the attacks that have happened. I was made to feel that I had made a big thing out of nothing and wondered if anyone has any views on this. Sensible replys only please.

Are you Asian by any chance or a Muslim person? if so, it was obviously a racist comment.

---------- Post added 04-11-2017 at 14:19 ----------

I sooooooo want to make a funny comment about something you've put in your post but i better not :hihi::twisted:

If they were council workers then i'd be quite surprised by their comments - you'd think they'd be given strict conducts to adhere to..

I see it too :hihi:

Hmmm, are you so forgiving of Jared O’Mara MP for making similar comments? Let’s have a look, shall we?

Oh look, how silly of me, of course not:

I didn't forgive anyone which makes you are as silly as you say. Maybe you just lack a sense of perspective or maybe you're a party member with instructions to defend a useless MP in an unrelated thread.

Example 1

Workman makes an off colour joke.

Sample size of one.

Problem resolution: A quiet word.

Example 2

MP who claims to have an acute social conscience leaves a trail of misogyny, bad attitude and not representing his constituents AT ALL.

Sample size much bigger than one.

Problem resolution: Sack the useless sexist article.

There you go.

No i'm not Asian and neither was the workman. The worker was a from a company that I won't name but he was carrying out work on behalf of Keepmoat who are doing work for sheffield homes. I can take a joke but I personally know someone who has been affected by the terrorists so it is something that I won't tolerate as it is a matter close to my heart.

Affected, you mean hurt by it or accused of it?

---------- Post added 12-11-2017 at 19:39 ----------

Just think people should have respect when they are in your home.

Were that disrespecting you in any way or having a joke between themselves you overheard, however inappropriate.