Christmas pay day altered..

My pal's employer will be closed between Christmas and New Year this year as they normally do, but have "broken with tradition" by just announcing that the December salary will not be paid before Christmas, but on the 28th instead.

I suppose the staff should be grateful of the advance notice, but isn't the change a bit unusual?

My pal's employer will be closed between Christmas and New Year this year as they normally do, but have "broken with tradition" by just announcing that the December salary will not be paid before Christmas, but on the 28th instead.

I suppose the staff should be grateful of the advance notice, but isn't the change a bit unusual?

That's not the first instance of this delay in xmas pay, that I've heard on the business grapevine lately.

You pal's employer cashflow can't be looking too healthy :|

It could be absolutely nothing..

It happened at my mums work last year, they always get paid on the last thursday of the month except in december but last year they decided to pay them the same as the rest of the year..

Going back a few years now but i used to get paid on the last day of the month and then we got a new accounts manager who decided to pay us all on the 15th of the month..

Suppose it happens more than you know and doesnt neccessarily mean DOOM :)

---------- Post added 01-11-2017 at 16:20 ----------

Mind you, saying that i suppose it could upset a few things if you'd planned to do most of your xmas shop out of your decembers wage thinking you were getting before xmas day and now you're not! That's a bit rubbish..

It might just be a right old faff for the payroll dept to swap things around.

That's what I suspect. I've never worked in a payroll department, and therefore don't know the intricacies of swapping dates etc.

As regards the company being unstable, it's unlikely - it's a well respected and known construction and plant hire company based in Sheffield.

That's what I suspect. I've never worked in a payroll department, and therefore don't know the intricacies of swapping dates etc.

As regards the company being unstable, it's unlikely - it's a well respected and known construction and plant hire company based in Sheffield.

Most people are paid by direct deposit these days, so, if this is the case with your friend, my guess is that it is not the employer's idea but his bank's. Financial institutions are not exactly known for their goodwill to all men, or overly concerned with inconveniencing people:)

27th of each month for me unless it falls at the weekend, then it’s the Fri before. At xmas it’s normally the 22nd or thereabouts, then it’s a stretch of 6-7 weeks before Jan payday. I know some staff resort to licking condensation off their windows and stewing up wrapping paper come week 6 because they’ve spent the lot.:hihi:

Edited by GLASGOWOODS

27th of each month for me unless it falls at the weekend, then it’s the Fri before. At xmas it’s normally the 22rd or thereabouts, then it’s a stretch of 6-7 weeks before Jan payday. I know some staff resort to licking condensation off their windows and stewing up wrapping paper come week 6 because they’ve spent the lot.:hihi:

this is most probably the reason (well, maybe not the window licking!). In my current job we paid a week early in December, then discreet requests from a lot of staff caused a rethink, and now we pay a few days early. Not a problem for some staff, but particularly the lower paid ones struggled in January.