Are Wrist Watches Becoming Outdated ?

I'm up to 12 wrist watches after a purchasing a second one for this year.

I also own 3 pocket watches.

Wear either/or almost every day.

I too wear pocket watches, a habit I got from my grandfather. One he left me has a dent in it and he said that was from a bullet in WW1 in France. I went along with the story, like a good little boy. LOL

I like the mechanical watches as the engineering that goes into them is almost like an art form. I only own two watches, a Seiko Kinetic Perpetual which is my casual watch and my Omega Speedmaster which was a special edition for the 2008 Olympics. These two are all I’ll ever need.

What watch do you use Cyclone, you are obviously in to your fitness.

Garmin 735XT, it's the 2nd garmin model I've had, I started with the basic model forerunner 10, upgraded after two years to this one.

For anyone who runs or cycles I'd recommend them.

---------- Post added 06-11-2017 at 07:42 ----------

I have an Oakely watch which I wear sometimes for dressy occasions, bought for me when I gave my other half her engagement ring. Amusingly I can't remember the model name right now, similar to the timebomb.

Over the nearly 2-decades' worth of working to the clock throughout the day every day, I seem to have developed an 'internal' biological watch, to the extent that these days I seem to always know the approximate time closely enough (within 15 mins), without looking at a watch or phone or other clock.

It's manifested in more recent times by not wearing a wristwatch anymore, when until then I used to religiously don my 27 year-old ultra-thin Seiko (18th birthday present, on its 4th or 5th battery and 9th or 10th wristband by now) every morning, as my only bit of 'jewelry' besides my wedding ring.

I have that Seiko, and a limited edition Swatch cast aluminium job that looks straight out of Star Trek (same model type as that one, but slightly different colour combination, with a brushed alu body and black fabric/Velcro wriststrap; the display format is also different to the example pic and yes, one of its function is to give 'Internet Time' :hihi:).

That Swatch has needed a battery and I haven't worn it for years on end now, but it was a family present, so a keeper. It's as ungainly and uncomfortable to wear, as the Seiko is unnoticeable and comfortable (that one is about 2 or 3mm thick and basically weighs nowt).

I sometimes do lust after my Dad's Breitling though.

I don't think they're becoming "outdated" (in an aesthetic/personal sense, rather than a functional sense) because, old or new, many are very beautiful objects. But they may well be becoming redundant (in a functional sense this time), because there's so many more further other sources for telling the time (mobile phone, computer desktop and most other electronics including TVs, car clock, etc.). No-one is ever far from 'a' clock at any given time of the day, nowadays.

Edited by L00b

totally off topic but I took my watch in for an adjustment.

Ready in half an hour I was told.

Went off to do some shopping.

You wouldn't believe the number of times I went to look at my missing watch to see if the half hour had passed:loopy: