Caulifloer Cheese Recipe Required please?

cleovalerie

Cheese sauce made with milk, thickened either by traditional roux (flour and butter) or cornflour. Part cook cauli, cover with cheese sauce, extra cheese on top if you like it to go brown then oven for a short while. Most recipes use breadcrumbs but we don't. We sometimes add French or English mustard to the cheese sauce.

Secret is to cook the cauli, drain well and let it go cold, make the sauce, milk. flour butter salt and black pepper, lots of red liecester cheese. I make it a while before I need it and reheat in microwave, am told it was spoken about by friends son when he was stationed in Afghanistan on the front line, You lads talking about what they would like to eat once home! I was very flattered.

I add finely chopped onion to my roux and then plenty of strong cheddar, a good dose of parmesan and a wee bit of mustard powder (goes in with the flour).

I break the cauliflower up, boil it till it's nearly done then pour over the sauce. I often add some cooked potato as well.

To top it I put some granary bread in my blender with a couple of cloves of garlic, more cheddar and a good handful of coriander and whizz it to a fine-ish crumb. Pour all over and then a hot oven till it's piping hot and golden on top.

I made this last night..

Cut and cook cauliflower, till al dente, I also add a few handfuls of pasta, set aside in oven dish.

Make packet cheese sauce up, add loads of extra cheese, I used Philadelphia garlic and herbs, plus strong cheddar. I then add a good dollop of horseradish to the sauce, gives it a lovely warm slant!

Pour sauce over cauliflower and pasta, add more cheese, sliced tomatoes a sprinkle of basil and paprika, bake in oven, gas 5, 20 mins, bubbly n hot.

Lovely....

Some good recipes on here by all.

I’m going to try Halibut’s, adding potatoes and a wee bit of mustard powder.

Also will try Debs1 recipe adding pasta.

I’m not very good at making a roux sauce mine tend to go lumpy so I might try cornflower or use a packet mix.

Does any one else get lumps in their sauce?

Some good recipes on here by all.

I’m going to try Halibut’s, adding potatoes and a wee bit of mustard powder.

Also will try Debs1 recipe adding pasta.

I’m not very good at making a roux sauce mine tend to go lumpy so I might try cornflower or use a packet mix.

Does any one else get lumps in their sauce?

Not often; the trick is to cook the flour/butter mixture thoroughly and then just add the milk a little at a time and always make sure it's smooth before adding the next lot.

Not often; the trick is to cook the flour/butter mixture thoroughly and then just add the milk a little at a time and always make sure it's smooth before adding the next lot.

Thanks for that I will give it another go, I’m probably not mixing it very well and I’m adding more milk when it is not smooth.