LEGO, where do you buy yours

hi all, this post is aimed at all you lego enthusiasts/collectors. so the thing is I have been collecting lego for many years now and have got way too much lego to do anything with. iv got wardrobes and cupboards and boxes full of lego sets (mostly new and sealed) plus hundreds and hundreds of lego minifigures. so basically I have decided to sell most of them (probably to fund buying other lego sets:hihi::loopy:) so the thing I want to know is where do you buy yours from (apart from the lego shop) so I know where best to start selling them.

iv also considered setting up a online shop (basically creating a website selling new and used lego) with everything listed individually with pictures of the items, description and prices, then when someone see some things they may like they can contact me by phone, pay by paypal and then I post it to them or they can collect if local, nice and simple just like the good old days. what do you guys think about that idea

I could sell on ebay but im sick of the cons/scams fees etc, I just want to keep it nice and simple and without the fees I could sell at a better price for the buyer so everyone wins and it would just feel like I could offer the buyer a better one to one service

Edited by landyman1

Hi landyman.

The online shop sounds a pretty good idea but it's just getting the website address out and about because you might not get much traffic through it. You could advertise afew small sets on eBay but in the description send them too your website. If you listed the small sets at a good price you would get lots of attention.

You can sell to these guys in St Albans (http://bricktraders.co.uk) they buy and sell new and used lego but you might not get as high a price as you were wanting. Seems a good website though.

My daughter (and me!) have just started collecting lego and she seems to love it. Have bought some sets from the lego store when they have some good offers on like spend so much and get a free gift but have found amazon to be good and also Tesco and argos when they have there 3 for 2 offers on you can save some good money. Would you have any tips for my daughter??

When you do decide to sell let me know and I'll have a look for her and me lol.

Hope this helps.

I find that Lego is ugly, blocky and expensive.

But, saying that, building something with one's own hands is vastly preferable to playing those unproductive video games down the arcade.

I wouldn't say it was ugly personally (depending on what you build) but it is certainly blocky by nature, and I agree can be rather costly. It's the way it is with a market leader though I suspect.

I agree about the building aspect - I would much prefer my daughter to build something with Lego than spend hours on a tablet or console.

Hi landyman.

The online shop sounds a pretty good idea but it's just getting the website address out and about because you might not get much traffic through it. You could advertise afew small sets on eBay but in the description send them too your website. If you listed the small sets at a good price you would get lots of attention.

You can sell to these guys in St Albans (http://bricktraders.co.uk) they buy and sell new and used lego but you might not get as high a price as you were wanting. Seems a good website though.

My daughter (and me!) have just started collecting lego and she seems to love it. Have bought some sets from the lego store when they have some good offers on like spend so much and get a free gift but have found amazon to be good and also Tesco and argos when they have there 3 for 2 offers on you can save some good money. Would you have any tips for my daughter??

When you do decide to sell let me know and I'll have a look for her and me lol.

Hope this helps.

hi Helen, ebay wont let you put links to websites or anything like that unfortunately and sellind my sets to someone who will be wanting to sell them on for a profit would not offer me the price I would be looking for so that's why im wanting to sell direct to the public myself but thankyou for the idea, and as for tips for your daughter for buying lego at a decent price I guess it sounds like you are doing it right with 3 for 2 and Tesco etc, also try asda as they tend to reduce a lot of sets but its just been in the store at the right time as they don't advertise it

---------- Post added 06-11-2017 at 12:39 ----------

I find that Lego is ugly, blocky and expensive.

But, saying that, building something with one's own hands is vastly preferable to playing those unproductive video games down the arcade.

hi car boot

I agree with you on trying to get kids off games and live in the real world as my kids are never off the phones/ipads, if I tell my kids to go and play outside they look at me like iv just asked them to move out:hihi:

---------- Post added 06-11-2017 at 12:42 ----------

If you search 'Sheffield Lego User Group' on Facebook, there will definitely be some interest there!

I'm a big fan of Lego personally. Love the stuff!

hi andy I have already sold a few items to the Sheffield LUG group in the past but I think they are in the same boat as me :D

Was unaware you couldn't put links in on eBay maybe just name your website like 'google isellblocks' for my homepage?? May be again T&S but only get a slapped hand.

I've heard about wilkos own brand lego (which is compatable with lego) which has great reviews and also something called 'Lepin' (google it to see) which don't get me wrong looks great and is a fraction on the price but something inside me just won't touch anything other than lego. Even get my little boy some Duplo to try at xmas. He loved playing with it in town the other day.

Landyman

just out of interest what are the downsides to selling on ebay?

I'd say global market ....gets highest prices...instant payment... reasonable fees outweigh easily the extra you get by selling to someone who really wants it.

Just interested in why you say cons and scams

Landyman

just out of interest what are the downsides to selling on ebay?

I'd say global market ....gets highest prices...instant payment... reasonable fees outweigh easily the extra you get by selling to someone who really wants it.

Just interested in why you say cons and scams

iv sold many lego sets on ebay in the past, I remember selling a few large sets on ebay and getting scammed. I sold a brand new 10188 lego death star on ebay and after a few days of receiving the set the buyer opened a case saying it was not as described and sent it back but had removed all the figures, I told ebay but they just said they couldn't prove it. plus iv had loads of other things like that so that's why I wont sell my lego on ebay anymore

---------- Post added 06-11-2017 at 16:11 ----------

Was unaware you couldn't put links in on eBay maybe just name your website like 'google isellblocks' for my homepage?? May be again T&S but only get a slapped hand.

I've heard about wilkos own brand lego (which is compatable with lego) which has great reviews and also something called 'Lepin' (google it to see) which don't get me wrong looks great and is a fraction on the price but something inside me just won't touch anything other than lego. Even get my little boy some Duplo to try at xmas. He loved playing with it in town the other day.

ebay are quite wise to anything like that now and u don't just get a slap on the hand now, your account can get suspended. wilko bricks arnt that good of a quality but ok if someone is on a budget and as for lepin (Chinese copy of lego) they do look ok at a glance but again the quality just isn't 100% and any genuine lego collector wont touch it