Spam emails from FYI

If you've received any of these spam emails from "FYI" (who have a Sheffield presence) last week then please let me know, e.g. by private message. I'm doing some investigation into this but I can't go into detail in public quite yet.

It's possible to claim compensation from spammers if you have not given them your permission to mail you.

The emails were:

• Wed 1 Nov: Free Entry Friday - CASA BACARDÍ takes over Liverpool with Wookie & Crazy Cousinz...
  • Wed 1 Nov: Compare and Book Viewings on Student Homes
  • Fri 3 Nov: Hip Hop's Juice Crew live & direct in Manchester, London & Bristol

cheers.

Both the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations and the Data Protection Act allow damages to be claimed for a breach.

PECR requires that the sender be able to prove that they have your "informed consent" to the mailing (claiming you forgot to tick a box on someone's else's form several years ago doesn't count!).

I usually claim £100 to £200 per email but potentially it can run to thousands for a more serious breach. I take a handful of actions a year and every one has paid the claim instead of simply providing the legally required records to show they have my consent (because they spammed without consent and got caught).