Blocking Pedestrian Access

I'm not sure what to do about this?

There's a set of steps up an embankment between the road and the foot path on our road just outside my home. People keep parking their vehicles across the steps so no one can use them.

I can find lots about vehicles mounting the pedestrian walkway, but nothing about vehicles remaining on the road but blocking access points.

The police say its the council, and the council say its the police :loopy:

The council say they have no money for a white H line and to phone 101 for the police who don't want to know because its the council??? :loopy:

Take pictures of the offending vehicles with registration plates showing and send copies to the police and council asking them to decide which one of them is going to sort the issue out.

I would also write a note to the car owners telling them how much of an inconvenience they are causing with their selfish behaviour and maybe chuck in a couple of swear words and insults for good measure! :hihi:

Take pictures of the offending vehicles with registration plates showing and send copies to the police and council asking them to decide which one of them is going to sort the issue out.

I would also write a note to the car owners telling them how much of an inconvenience they are causing with their selfish behaviour and maybe chuck in a couple of swear words and insults for good measure! :hihi:

I tried something similar (apart from the profanity, that just gets peoples backs up) but It did not work.

In the end I managed to contact the guy in charge of parking enforcement in my area. I rang him every time there was an access issue and around 3 months later he found the funds to put double yellows in the effected area.

In the beginning this still did not work so I kept ringing him when access was an issue and he made sure parking enforcement put it on their regular route. People eventually got the message and things are much better now.

Good luck OP, I know this kind of thing can be really frustrating.

I tried something similar (apart from the profanity, that just gets peoples backs up) but It did not work.

In the end I managed to contact the guy in charge of parking enforcement in my area. I rang him every time there was an access issue and around 3 months later he found the funds to put double yellows in the effected area.

In the beginning this still did not work so I kept ringing him when access was an issue and he made sure parking enforcement put it on their regular route. People eventually got the message and things are much better now.

Good luck OP, I know this kind of thing can be really frustrating.

Hi Guy,s

Thanks for the reply

I've already covered all those bases. The council tried to convince me that I could pay the £75 for advisory only road markings for there access point. When I pointed this out I got a length email stating why SCC couldn't do the road markings due to lack of funding, but it would be put on a long term program should they find the money???

The polite note left on this weekends offenders vehicle has this morning been removed/read yet the car is still blocking the access even though other parking spaces are now available.

I've contacted 101 as both the council and police instructed only to be told they can't do anything because the vehicle hasn't mounted the main public path. ........

I can't understand why people have to be so inconsiderate to one another just over a few feet?

Edited by rollwithit

Its annoying when this happens , you would think a polite note left on the car would be sufficient but has is it commonsense in the first place not to block the steps , you can understand why the note has made no difference . My advice has ex council worker is to do what dimple did just keep contacting the council , same person if possible .

I've already covered all those bases. The council tried to convince me that I could pay the £75 for advisory only road markings for there access point. When I pointed this out I got a length email stating why SCC couldn't do the road markings due to lack of funding, but it would be put on a long term program should they find the money???

The police will not enforce something that is only advisory. Have you tried a note left on the offending vehicle that says their cars may get scratched by parking and blocking the steps, by people trying to get past.

The police will not enforce something that is only advisory. Have you tried a note left on the offending vehicle that says their cars may get scratched by parking and blocking the steps, by people trying to get past.

YEP

Dear Neighbour / Visitor

Inconsiderate Parking Over Pedestrian Access

Your vehicle was / is blocking the only safe pedestrian access between the road and path. Last night due to this I was unable to safely unload my vehicle.

A fall could have resulted in injury or damage to possessions. Luckily the only impact was a muddy living room carpet. If you trailed a mess into your home, would you pleased?

I fully understand that parking is now at a premium on XXXXXX and that vehicles can be parked in places with no road markings. However, this does not mean we should inconvenience or place one another at risk by inconsiderate parking.

Everyone from the elderly, families, and trades persons uses those steps to access vehicles or cross the road.

We are all pedestrians once we leave our vehicles.

XXXXX is one of the best / safest places to live in North Sheffield because of our sense of community.

Lets uphold this community spirit and work together to insure we are all safe on the road.

Moving your vehicle to one side of the steps is much appreciated.

Thank you for your co-operation in this matter.

Regards

Your Neighbour

don't know about that El it would work with me but others may be a bit aggressive and take it has a threat . I wouldn't park there in the first place worrying about people marking car trying to get passed .

---------- Post added 11-11-2017 at 10:51 ----------

brilliant rollwithit

don't know about that El it would work with me but others may be a bit aggressive and take it has a threat . I wouldn't park there in the first place worrying about people marking car trying to get passed .

---------- Post added 11-11-2017 at 10:51 ----------

brilliant rollwithit

Yes, it's not my intention to fall out with my neighbours. I just want them to see sense, those steps are for everyone. a selfish act prevents everyone from using them.

It would be nice to park outside my house bang next to the steps, but I can't legislate for that. At daft o clock I can leave the vehicle in the middle of the road whilst I unload then find a parking space after, even if its on the next road. But parking broadside on over the steps services no purpose. Just pure selfishness.