Any decent restaurants?

alwanbap

Chinese food - try Candy Town on london Road (opposite Bed Nightclub) Especially there duck pancakes - as they strip a duck in front of you in 10 seconds flat!

Also zing Vaa on the moor is also good, tiny but family run with good atmosphere

Itailian - Barbarellas at the end of London road (Near Candytown)- Nice layout, great food (especially the bacon pasta) starter

- Ka Pasa at the Top of west street - Family run business, very busy so book in advance, there carbonara spag rocks!

Best of the rest -

Noodle bar - On london Road - Take away or eat in, Great meals reasonably priced with set menus that are great

Takapuna Bar / Rest - (Bottom of west street) Specials that change fortnightly, great venue, try Takapuna Special Pasta

Lions Lare - Near Coles in City centre - There posh Fish & Chips rock with pea cavaiar. Also have b.b.q from £5 with salad buffet and outdoor eating area with Jazz band on a Sunday in the summer

Ask - Near coles in town - Great for pizzas and pastas very romantic with candles on each table

Pizza Express - Devonshire Street - Watch your food being cooked in the open plan kitchen,great place - Salad Niscoise is gorg!

IF ELSE FAILS -

Devonshire chippy - The best chips in sheffield -Devonshire street

Royle Flame - London Road - The best kebebs in town with home made pitta breads, Try the Chicken cooked in front of you

Macdonalds - They do chicken sandwhiches for 99p you know!

DODGE AT ALL ACCOUNTS! -

Any food from the wicker!

Burger / Sweat fan thats outside kingdom on a weekwend

Any chain Southern Fried Chickens ( Sorry know some people are fans but there food hygiene leaves a lot to be desired!)

Happy Noshing! XXXXX

I have to say that WasabiSabi is a place that's purely "all style and no substance". They charge stupidly expensive prices because they're the only Japanese restaurant in Sheffield.

I was so looking forward to going there aswell, such a disappointment. I absolutely love Japanese food and it would have been brilliant if Sheffield had a decent Japanese restaurant. (Not so greeat for my wallet.) Though I guess it may be a bit much to ask, it takes years of training and discipline. The Japanese people I know don't like the place at all.

The funny thing is that it's actually run by Malaysian people!

However, good points: Japanese food! The only place in sheff that's dedicated to Japanese food. Also, nice venue... looks quite flash... good place to "pose" in... and close to where I live. (Means I also have all of the places on London Rd at my disposal, hehe.)

Oh yes, insider information: I believe that Canton Orchard is not especially hygienic... (Heard from someone who used to work there.)

Now for my recommendations.

Chinese:

Tim Po Moor - London Rd (Across the road from Bed)

Excellent food, very friendly staff and it's BYOB. I especially like them since their food is absolutely authentic chinese food. (Being chinese myself, it's something I truly appreciate.) I can ask them to cook up anything I want. You really need to ask about their specialities and what is especially fresh that day. (Ask for Ma Po Tofu.... yummy)

They're also an excellent choice for vegetarians, I believe that they've made quite a name for themselves amongst vegetarians and vegans. Their Salt & Pepper Tofu is especially recommended, I have yet to try a place that does them any better.

However, I'd say that the most important thing for me is that since they're a family-run business and try to be as authentic as possible, they use very little MSG and food colourings. If you're used to your typical english chinese takeaway/restaurant, then you may find their food quite different... It wil lack the alarming bright colours and the salty "bite" of being too heavy-handed with the MSG... For me, it's a health issue, but at the same time it allows the light, natural flavour of the fresh ingredients to speak for themselves.

Bad points: It's in a pretty crummy venue... though renovations means that it looks a whole lot better than it did before. It used to be in a smaller shop further up London Rd. and being in a bigger brighter venue means that it's lost it's cosy feeling...

The toilets are *COLD*.... but I guess it means you don't linger... they're perfectly clean, but the dim lighting and dodgy decor serves to make it feel a bit like the loo in a broken down service station.

Western/English:

Rafters

Very very good food, imaginative dishes... lovely cosy little restaurant. It looks quite inconspicuous from the outside, but once inside the warm colours and the interesting windows and of course the rafters makes for a very comforting atmosphere.

Unfortunately, it's expensive which makes it a bit less easy for me to go there on a frequent basis. It being far away and in an obscure place doesn't help either...

Champs - Ecclesall Rd.

An american style sports bar/restaurant... I'm not a sports fan... at all... so for me, the whole sports thing is a BIG turn off... however, the food is good and their selection of cocktails is brilliant... it makes for a very enjoyable night out with a bunch of people... definitely not one to go to for a cosy romantic evening.

Pizza:

Le Pizza - 0114-263 0106, 478 Fulwood Rd

They have to be the best pizza place in Sheffield. I hate pizzas from take-aways... your averge pizza place does pizza with mushy doughy base that feels like it's still raw, blech. Anyway, this place is different... the food is quality. However, they don't do deliveries so you have to make the trek all the way there to get it yourself., but believe me, it's well worth it. (Speaking as a person who lives in Sharrow.)

Other Italian :

I'd agree with a previous comment, BB's is very good. I also like Mama's and Leonies (Next to the Winter Gardens. Very nice food, cosy venue... and I especially like the Diner-style bar where you can sit if you're on your own... it also open directly into the kitchen so you can see exactly what's going on...

Try Sola on North Church Street. Its just had a bit of a refurb, went there on Saturday night and the place was buzzing, great food.

Also Lions Lair has a fantastic menu, i hear that its going to be sheffields first pub to be mentioned in the Michelin Guide

Originally posted by crazey

Pizza Express - Devonshire Street - Watch your food being cooked in the open plan kitchen,great place - Salad Niscoise is gorg!

Sorry just had to add my 2p but Pizza Express is the worst place I've ever been in my life - stupidly expensive, disgraceful portions and not particularly nice either.

• 1 year later...

This may be the wrong thread to add this to, but we went for a meal at Hui Moon Chinese restaurant on Middlewood Rd and it was one of the worst Chinese meals I've ever experienced.

The service was slow despite there only being a handful of people in and we ended up leaving one of the starters as it was literally a dinner plate of sweetcorn covered in tasteless brown gluey sauce.

The main course was really bland and starchy and full of monosodium glutomate - moreso than any Chinese I've had. The sauces were nasty and the green veg seemed to glow radioactively.

Avoid this place.

Originally posted by Danb1

Try Sola on North Church Street. Its just had a bit of a refurb, went there on Saturday night and the place was buzzing, great food.

Also Lions Lair has a fantastic menu, i hear that its going to be sheffields first pub to be mentioned in the Michelin Guide

The Old Vicerage already has a Michelin Star.

My Faves would have to be:

Thyme in Crosspool (quality contemporary English/ French)

Froggies Bistro on London Rd (Francais all the way. They do a great deal where you get two courses and a glass of wine for £17.50 if you eat before 7.30)

Dim Sum on London Rd- recent convert. Tried it about 2 years ago when it had just opened and I was distinctly unimpressed. Gave it a second chance recently, after hearing some rave reviews here and still pining the closure of the Golden Dragon, and haven't looked back. Superb homemade Dim Sum.

New India Garden- Very good Indian and a local of mine. All the dishes I've tried have had the freshest ingredients. Doesn't afflict me with the old Delhi belly like most Indian cuisine either. Though if you're a fan of Dahls then theirs is not the best you can get in the city.

Originally posted by crazey

Ask - Near coles in town - Great for pizzas and pastas very romantic with candles on each table

I have to say they are two of the worse places I've ever eaten.

I would recommend most of the places on London Road, especailly Wasabisabi and Froggies Bistro.

My do's and dont's:

Do go to:

Froggie's – there's a lovely, relaxed atmosphere, the prices are reasonable, the food's had a bit of thought put into it and BYOB is always a bonus.

Thyme Café – a little different to your average restaurant, but I can't fault this place at all. The food is rustic but well presented, the portions are huge and the skill level is high.

Blue Fin, Hunter's Bar – took a while to get going, and it took a bit of a bashing from the trendy set at first. But they've turned the place round recently and the (sea)food is superb. Think Slammers but without the pretentions.

Don't go to:

Antibo – Admittedly it's been a while, but the service was the most abysmal I've encountered anywhere in or out of Sheffield. The food's mediocre and overpriced, while the drinks prices have to be seen to be believed.

Que Tal – Not good food and not good service. Instantly forgettable.

Archived