How much faster is broadband ??

i.m not that knowledgable about it all... i have a modem and its dial up..had this computer about 8 years and never done any modifications...just plodded along with it.trouble is its so slow...so slow in fact i get so sick of waiting for it

i have a computer at work and all the internet pages come up quick...this gets slower and slower though i defrag it and i get rid of unwanted programmes...i keep getting offers from wanadoo to go to broadband but im a bit like the devil you know than the devil you dont...i keep hearing stories that its easier for hackers to get at your files on broadband...

Rough guide:- 1/2 mb broadband will be about 10 times quicker than dial up for downloading files from the internet. 1mb about 20 times faster etc.

Alot depends on what you are using it for because upstream speeds(i.e. sending files from your computer to somewhere else) are usually lower than the downstream (i.e. receiving files) speeds.

We've had ADSL for a few years now at The Towers - we got it almost as soon as it was available at the local exchange.

The speed thing is great - even our old computers are better on the Net - but just as good is the 'always on' side of it. I don't have to play around unplugging and plugging in modems, etc. It's just always available.

Of course, you pay more! I have the business option from BT - it's not the cheapest broadband available but suits me as it offered me a fixed IP address, which is useful for some aspects of my work.

I love it!

Archived