How much faster is broadband ??

i keep hearing stories that its easier for hackers to get at your files on broadband...

Old wifes tale.Never had any problems.keep your antivirus/firewall/wincriticals up to date,Job done...:thumbsup: Also when I was on dial up I could only download at 3kbs on 512kbs I average about 35kbs...:thumbsup:

i have a computer at work and all the internet pages come up quick...this gets slower and slower though i defrag it and i get rid of unwanted programmes...i keep getting offers from wanadoo to go to broadband but im a bit like the devil you know than the devil you dont...i keep hearing stories that its easier for hackers to get at your files on broadband...

You would be ill advised to use bb without a router/firewall which would make it safer than dialup

i.m not that knowledgable about it all... i have a modem and its dial up..had this computer about 8 years and never done any modifications...just plodded along with it.trouble is its so slow...so slow in fact i get so sick of waiting for it

My PC is 1998 vintage but broadband is so much faster than dial up - you won't regret it.

Anlabystreet. We were on dial up at home for years and it really woudn me up. Pages would crash or take minutes to load. I signed up with Talk talk so the Broadband is free and would not go back. Pages load immediately, and where before an MP3 track would take between 30 mins and an hour to download, now it's 30 seconds to 5 minutes. What are you waiting for????

BB is the only way forward. So much of the WEB is now written with the assumption that people have BB. This means that it is more intensive and dial up just won't load it in a sensible time. You can get BB fairly cheap now (do a search for "compare broadband" ) and you'll see there are loads don't automatically go for the big 3 (wanadoo, BT, virgin) look around, some others are much better. Be aware that some limit how much you can download, but if your surviving on dial up i can't imagine your a heavy users.

As previous posters have said "YOU MUST LOAD A FIREWALL" without this your not going to last long before you get hit by some nast or other. Most companies include on of these in their software they give you, use it.

Happy surfing, you'll never go back to dial up.

I have been with AOL since i got my 1st computer about 10yrs ago,and would like to go on broadband but our phone line is not BT it is cable and i really dont want to swop from AOL and neither does my daughter,but my husband is naggin us to swop so we can go on broadband,wot would you do.

Archived