Dockless bike sharing scheme to launch in Sheffield

Looks like a similar Manchester scheme lasted about 5 months before it hit major problems.

Wonder if Sheffield will last a longer or shorter time? Place your bets now....

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=8&ved=0ahUKEwirtL3LqtXYAhVZF8AKHcLUBTEQFghKMAc&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bbc.co.uk%2Fnews%2Fuk-england-manchester-41982532&usg=AOvVaw0goLvGJQ73iyhufq8zjn7y

---------- Post added 13-01-2018 at 16:27 ----------

I think that's the one that is stopping, mentioned by the poster above, rather than this new 'yellow bikes' one.

As I mentioned before- a lot of people had no idea that this scheme was even in existence!

have already said 6 months tops:roll:

I was on canal jogging on Thursday and there were 2 on the towpath. I thought they must be these new bikes, but why would u just cycle sofaron the towpath and then hop off. There was another this morning near sheffield forgemasters

Probably reached the end of the 'drop off zone' area.

How is this even a question?

Who do you "sue" if a cyclist on there own bike runs into you? Who do you sue if a hire car runs into you? Who do you sue if a pedestrian scrapes down the side of the car?

The person responsible in each case obviously. :huh:

From Ofo's website: "ofo carries a liability insurance to cover accidents. Please contact us at cs_uk@ofo.com so our team can help guide you through the process."

That doesn't stop you suing the cyclist of course.

---------- Post added 14-01-2018 at 09:32 ----------

A new public bicycle hire scheme similar to the "Boris bikes" system in London is starting in Sheffield.

From the end of July, a total of 30 bikes will be available for short-term hire from five different locations across the Sheffield University campus.

Another three docking stations with 20 bikes will be made available at sites in the city later in the year.

The university has funded the scheme, with the council paying for the additional city sites.

The bikes will be available 24 hours a day. Costs vary from £1 for an hour to £10 for annual membership.

Users will be able to collect and return the bicycles from stands at the main student accommodation blocks - Endcliffe and Ranmoor, the Arts Tower, Information Commons and Portobello centre.

The three other stands will be at Barker's Pool, Devonshire Green and the railway station.

Darren Hardwick, who has organised the scheme for the university, said: "We hope to expand it much further across the city as it gets up and running and we'll be talking to other large organisations such as the hospital, Sheffield Hallam University and hotels."

That's a totally different scheme to the one we're discussing.

Given the multiple references to the company "ofo" and the title of the thread being DOCKLESS when your refers to 3 docking stations should have been a clue.

I tried one yesterday, it was a surprisingly good ride! Could have done with a lower gear though - I'm a cyclist and the hill at Netherthorpe on the cycle ring route was hard work. I'm not sure your casual user would manage.

I then tried to pick one up on my way home last night, rather than walking. Of the three that were conveniently located on my journey, the first had no saddle, the second the chain had come off (and I couldn't get it back on), and the third was mysteriously nowhere in sight, despite me being on top of the symbol on the map. I suspect it was in someone's flat...

So they're not going to be very reliable, because people are selfish, antisocial and ignorant!

So they're not going to be very reliable, because people are selfish, antisocial and ignorant!

Schemes like this are worthwhile only in sophisticated countries. Not here.