Dockless bike sharing scheme to launch in Sheffield

As Cyclone says, it has been supported by two Home Secretaries now.

From an admittedly cycling site:-

"Fortunately, when FPNs were introduced for pavement cycling in 1999, Home Office Minister Paul Boateng issued guidance saying that: "The introduction of the fixed penalty is not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of traffic and who show consideration to other pavement users when doing so. Chief Police Officers who are responsible for enforcement, acknowledge that many cyclists, particularly children and young people, are afraid to cycle on the road, sensitivity and careful use of police discretion is required".

The Home Office guidance was re-affirmed in 2014 by the then Cycling Minister Robert Goodwill, who agreed that the police should use discretion in enforcing the law and recommended that the matter be taken up with the Association of Chief Police Officers (ACPO). ACPO welcomed the renewed guidance, circulated it to all forces, and issued a statement referring to "discretion in taking a reasonable and proportionate approach, with safety being a guiding principle".

To summarise, cycling on the pavement is still an offence, but there is clear guidance that the police are supposed to exercise discretion."

I've highlighted the part that is exactly what I said in my post. I suspect that this scheme is very much aimed at those who don't cycle regularly. I don't even own a bike, but on the odd occasion, have used the yellow bikes. I would certainly feel very hesitant to cycle round Bramall Lane roundabout, which is the nearest one to me, so will use the underpass, carefully. I can understand people not wanting to cycle on Ecclesall Road too - in fact many roads in Sheffield - as the motorists can be total idiots on there, as someone I know found out when they were hit and killed.

If people are regular cyclists, I'd suggest they're unlikely to use this scheme, as they will have their bikes with them. This, to me, is designed for those who rarely ride, and perhaps it will encourage them to do so, and to leave their cars at home.

As for the person ringing their bell, would you prefer them to collide with people?

I wouldn't expect anyone to cycle around a roundabout such as bramall lane. There are cycle lanes alongside the footpaths to the subways for cyclists!!! What is a problem is cyclists barging their way through groups of people on a normal (and very busy) footpath. It's not safe and it's very rude to expect everyone to move for their benefit. If they feel it's unsafe to cycle on a particular stretch of road they should get off the bike and push it! How do you know if a pedestrian is deaf and can't hear a bell is pingy pingy pinging?

I have several friends that are deaf, you could shout ring a bell, it wouldn't make any difference they still wouldnt be alerted by someone behind them.

Sooo? I'm not sure of your point.

You ring the bell to reduce the chance of startling a pedestrian and to be polite.

Some pedestrians are deaf, so ringing the bell neither helps nor hinders them. So, carry on ringing, it's going to be of benefit to what, 99.9% of pedestrians, and a hindrance to none.

Personally as a pedestrian I've been hit twice, both times head on bikers coming around corners at speed, both times the cyclists came off, I don't think you can be to careful these days. I'm pretty solidly so most things tend to bounce off me but there's a lot of old folk that don't bounce at all just break.

You've been very unlucky...

Presumably at quite low speed if they bounced off you and fell.

There's a particular corner I cycle around where I assume that there's an idiot pedestrian on the other side, there is probably once a week, on the cycle path, around a tight, blind, corner.

Sooo? I'm not sure of your point.

You ring the bell to reduce the chance of startling a pedestrian and to be polite.

Some pedestrians are deaf, so ringing the bell neither helps nor hinders them. So, carry on ringing, it's going to be of benefit to what, 99.9% of pedestrians, and a hindrance to none.

You've been very unlucky...

Presumably at quite low speed if they bounced off you and fell.

There's a particular corner I cycle around where I assume that there's an idiot pedestrian on the other side, there is probably once a week, on the cycle path, around a tight, blind, corner.

99.9% of the pedestrians maybe you should have a read before giving throwaway % as a notion of general fact.....

https://www.disability.co.uk/sites/default/files/resources/UKStatistics%26Facts.pdf

even partial deafness may in inhibit certain frequencies such as a bell ringing.

As for the speed of the incidents, not that slow....Thankfully I had/have good reflexes.

I highlighted in bold.....I think you meant Person/Human-being?

Had a little play on one yesterday, and they seem quite decent.

They remind me of the ones you can hire in the Netherlands, apart from the braking system.

Apologies if you saw me piddling around Aldi carpark on Flora St yesterday if I entertained you while I was getting to grips with it! :hihi:

Had a little play on one yesterday, and they seem quite decent.

They remind me of the ones you can hire in the Netherlands, apart from the braking system.

Apologies if you saw me piddling around Aldi carpark on Flora St yesterday if I entertained you while I was getting to grips with it! :hihi:

Ive seen quite a few people riding around Hillsborough down to Shalesmoor, they decent enough, and should brighten up the City as a whole.

99.9% of the pedestrians maybe you should have a read before giving throwaway % as a notion of general fact.....

https://www.disability.co.uk/sites/default/files/resources/UKStatistics%26Facts.pdf

even partial deafness may in inhibit certain frequencies such as a bell ringing.

As for the speed of the incidents, not that slow....Thankfully I had/have good reflexes.

I highlighted in bold.....I think you meant Person/Human-being?

Well, you definitely said "deaf" and not with "partial hearing loss".

I'm puzzled, good reflexes mean that fast moving cycles and cyclists bounce off you? You'll have to explain. I can see you dodging out of the way, but I can't imagine myself (average weight male cyclist) bouncing off anyone at 15kph. It would most likely result in 2 of us on the floor, with bruising and scrapes.

Checking your link, I'm not far off with the 0.1% of profoundly deaf, a little bit under, the 0.1% would be correct for those born that way. As high as 0.3% though including those who develop it (mostly the elderly).

I really don't see your problem anyway. Ringing the bell is polite and the sensible thing to do, even if only 90% of pedestrians could hear it. It's 90% more than if you don't ring it isn't it.

I didn't claim that it's magic, that it will solve all problems or that it gives you the right of way, I said all along that it's the polite and sensible thing to do when cycling in a mixed use environment, I really don't see what point you're trying to make.

See my post #264 again and tell me what point you're making.

Edited by Cyclone

Well, you definitely said "deaf" and not with "partial hearing loss".

I'm puzzled, good reflexes mean that fast moving cycles and cyclists bounce off you? You'll have to explain. I can see you dodging out of the way, but I can't imagine myself (average weight male cyclist) bouncing off anyone at 15kph. It would most likely result in 2 of us on the floor, with bruising and scrapes.

Checking your link, I'm not far off with the 0.1% of profoundly deaf, a little bit under, the 0.1% would be correct for those born that way. As high as 0.3% though including those who develop it (mostly the elderly).

I really don't see your problem anyway. Ringing the bell is polite and the sensible thing to do, even if only 90% of pedestrians could hear it. It's 90% more than if you don't ring it isn't it.

I didn't claim that it's magic, that it will solve all problems or that it gives you the right of way, I said all along that it's the polite and sensible thing to do when cycling in a mixed use environment, I really don't see what point you're trying to make.

See my post #264 again and tell me what point you're making.

Ref....there are varying degrees of deafness.....deaf is not the absolute, whatever point is....you're blinkered on this subject so it as a topic is very much non debatable...:rolleyes: I speak to a lot of elderly people they'll always say I'm deaf if they have a hearing issue, you need to speak up or face them does imply total deafness....so I know its your pet subject and you'll defend cyclist 99.9% and boy does it show!

I have the opposite, my sense of hearing is freakishly good:cool:

We could try a demo at 15miles, I'm up at the Hillsborough Park most Sundays its got plenty of bends.:P