Dockless bike sharing scheme to launch in Sheffield

They have succeeded in rougher cities than ours, much rougher, on the whole it has been a very successful business venture around the world that has been played out many times so they know what to expect, by the sounds of it they always have vandal problems for a few weeks until the dirtbags get bored.

Exactly. They know exactly what theyre getting in to when they start out. Theres bound to be a certain amount of collateral damage to start with but they wouldnt have bothered with Sheffield if they werent reasonably sure it would be a success overall.

I work near the city centre surrounded by a lot of student accommodation, I see more and more of the bikes every day, either in use or propped against walls etc, all looking in pretty good condition.

Exactly. They know exactly what theyre getting in to when they start out. Theres bound to be a certain amount of collateral damage to start with but they wouldnt have bothered with Sheffield if they werent reasonably sure it would be a success overall.

I work near the city centre surrounded by a lot of student accommodation, I see more and more of the bikes every day, either in use or propped against walls etc, all looking in pretty good condition.

Yes nikki they are appearing all over the place, lets hope this vile vandal stage is over with soon as this is a great idea.

seen one today in Heeley with back wheel bent in half :hihi::hihi:

Walking to work yesterday, I passed an abandoned bike near a bus stop on Heeley Bank Road. Its distorted front wheel looked as though it had been ridden into several potholes. Walking home several hours later, the bike had gone – presumably/hopefully picked up to get repaired and back on the road (on a Sunday of all days too).

Unfortunately, there are some folk in Sheffield who appear to take delight in setbacks to the bike sharing scheme. I'm sure you're not one of them Mr Tone999, despite your :hihi::hihi:.

Walking to work yesterday, I passed an abandoned bike near a bus stop on Heeley Bank Road. Its distorted front wheel looked as though it had been ridden into several potholes. Walking home several hours later, the bike had gone – presumably/hopefully picked up to get repaired and back on the road (on a Sunday of all days too).

Unfortunately, there are some folk in Sheffield who appear to take delight in setbacks to the bike sharing scheme. I'm sure you're not one of them Mr Tone999, despite your :hihi::hihi:.

I wouldn't be so sure.

The pig iron bikes cost buttons to make but the costs of running the scheme seem to be killing most of the entrants into the market. Bike share companies are failing regularly. I do like the core idea of hopping on a random bike, but they seem to becoming basically litter and need some kind of better management. It's a conundrum.