The Great Storm of 62

Grinder, I also slept through it all, I'd be eighteen at the time and didn't know anything about it all till I walked to work down Tillitson Road, our neighbours Gable end had blow down but I never heard a thing, I do remember wondering as I walked down Tillitson road where all the slates had come from? lol

Bet I couldn't do that now lol...

My mother sent me to school which was about a miles walk from home. Me and my mates were bent double laughing at the things we saw being blown down the street including a large pram, a wardrobe and a baby bath. We arrived there (St Theresa's on Prince of Wales Road) just in time to be told that the school was closing and we were to go home. Some of the school buildings were damaged with sections of roof being blown off. We detoured up to Northern Avenue on the Arbourthorne to see the totally destroyed prefabs and saw peoples possessions blowing all over the place and although we picked stuff up and looked at it we took nothing. I remember watching the roof being blown off a shop on City Road and on the walk down Windy House Lane slates and chimney pots crashing down all around us. All a big adventure when you're eight years old

Does anyone have any memories or experiences of the storm that hit Sheffield on the night of 16th February 1962?

I went to work the next day as an apprentice electrician employed on the construction of the new Pond Street College. The tower crane was laid across the half constructed building and its counterweights had been caterpulted into the bus station. All the scaffolding was peeled from the structure like a banana skin.

yes i was an apprentice t.v. engineer at the time.I spent half the night holding the garage down at home to save it from the next door's garden

• 2 weeks later...
if you look back you will see that this post was started in 2006 - I started it up again the other day because it is the 50th anniversary of the storm.

--------------

Good on you smary, i dont want to look that far back from 2006,

i'am happy to start here on your thread today 2012. :hihi::hihi:

Archived