The EU and the Irish Border.

You said the easiest thing was for Ireland to leave the EU as well. I was just pointing out that that is not the easiest thing.

It speaks volumes about the arrogance of some brexiters that they think other countries should change to fit in with what they see as being needed to make brexit a success. The same thing occurred with the Empire 2.0 proposals.

If both Ireland and the UK were not members of the EU, then things would be plain sailing which is my point. The problem is the EU.

I voted to remain in the EU but accept the result.

---------- Post added 21-11-2017 at 18:04 ----------

Was that the vote that had to be repeated with slightly different questions until a result acceptable to the EU was achieved :huh:

Or was it another democratic vote that had to be repeated because the result wasn't acceptable to the EU :huh::roll:

Yes that's the vote and the question was asked again and answered correctly for the EU after it was repeated.

If both Ireland and the UK were not members of the EU, then things would be plain sailing which is my point. The problem is the EU.

Ireland and the UK are both currently members of the EU and things are plain sailing. The problems are caused by us leaving not by the EU.

I voted to remain in the EU but accept the result.

Ireland didn't get a vote yet you suggest they should leave to avoid us having to deal with problems that are of our own making.

Yes that's the vote and the question was asked again and answered correctly for the EU after it was repeated.

See Loob's post # 23.

Ireland and the UK are both currently members of the EU and things are plain sailing. The problems are caused by us leaving not by the EU.

Ireland didn't get a vote yet you suggest they should leave to avoid us having to deal with problems that are of our own making.

See Loob's post # 23.

It is the EU who are causing the problem regarding the border between Ireland and Northern Ireland. Repeatedly blaming the UK for voting to leave the EU will not solve the border problem. All I have done is point out, if Ireland left the EU then the problem would be solved rather than suggest the UK should stay in the EU as others have suggested, which would be against the wishes of the people who voted in the democratic referendum result.

It is the EU who are causing the problem regarding the border between Ireland and Northern Ireland. Repeatedly blaming the UK for voting to leave the EU will not solve the border problem.

Repeatedly blaming the EU for problems caused by our actions won't solve the border problem either. We voted to leave, it's up to us to sort out the problems. Insisting other countries should do what is convenient for us isn't a realistic approach.

All I have done is point out, if Ireland left the EU then the problem would be solved rather than suggest the UK should stay in the EU as others have suggested, which would be against the wishes of the people who voted in the democratic referendum result.

Your waving the 'respecting democracy' card is undermined by your suggesting that people who had no part in the vote should be amongst those to suffer the consequences.

It is the EU who are causing the problem regarding the border between Ireland and Northern Ireland. Repeatedly blaming the UK for voting to leave the EU will not solve the border problem. All I have done is point out, if Ireland left the EU then the problem would be solved rather than suggest the UK should stay in the EU as others have suggested, which would be against the wishes of the people who voted in the democratic referendum result.

Are you really this daft? Or is it an act?

Seriously, how can you even remotely blame the EU for something that YOU voted for? You voted, you take the consequences. Absolutely unbelievable that you want the EU to cough up for this one. It is your (as in you personally) problem more than it is of any other person in the EU27.

Good luck solving the mess you created.

Repeatedly blaming the EU for problems caused by our actions won't solve the border problem either. We voted to leave, it's up to us to sort out the problems. Insisting other countries should do what is convenient for us isn't a realistic approach.

Your waving the 'respecting democracy' card is undermined by your suggesting that people who had no part in the vote should be amongst those to suffer the consequences.

Why don't you look at the situation from a different angle rather than repeating yourself?

Why Ireland should take the opportunity to follow the UK out of the EU

http://brexitcentral.com/ireland-take-opportunity-follow-uk-eu/

---------- Post added 21-11-2017 at 19:26 ----------

Are you really this daft? Or is it an act?

Seriously, how can you even remotely blame the EU for something that YOU voted for? You voted, you take the consequences. Absolutely unbelievable that you want the EU to cough up for this one. It is your (as in you personally) problem more than it is of any other person in the EU27.

Good luck solving the mess you created.

I voted to remain in the EU so how did I create the mess as you call it? We all should look at Brexit as a positive opportunity rather than being doom mongers.

I voted to remain in the EU so how did I create the mess as you call it? We all should look at Brexit as a positive opportunity rather than being doom mongers.

If you voted in, I will assume you considered the Irish Question. It seems you haven't. Frankly, I don't believe you voted to remain, but if you did and have now had your mind changed, explain how the EU is responsible for the mess that Brexit created in Ireland?

Wait what? Did the EU vote for Brexit to happen? This is news to me, care to elaborate?

The EU and their obsession with free movement of people caused Brexit to happen.

---------- Post added 21-11-2017 at 19:38 ----------

Hiya Penny, you alright flower :wave:

I know some Eastern Europeans who’ll build that wall for you, cash in hand. Whaddaya say?

Best way to work my friend

Why don't you look at the situation from a different angle rather than repeating yourself?

Why Ireland should take the opportunity to follow the UK out of the EU

http://brexitcentral.com/ireland-take-opportunity-follow-uk-eu/

I've read it. Here's a couple of points from it - try to look at them from a Irish point of view.

Although the Republic’s trade patterns have diversified since 1973, the English-speaking markets of the UK, North America and elsewhere are still more important for it than those of the EU without the UK, as is shown by the below table for the Republic’s foreign trade in goods. The distribution of its foreign trade in services is broadly similar.
And here's a link to the table mentioned.

You'll notice the text carefully compares Ireland's trade with the EU26 to its trade with the rest of the English speaking world rather than to just the UK. The reason for this is shown in the table. Irish imports/exports with the UK 14%/26%. Irish imports/exports with the EU26 39%/34%. The rest of the EU is a much more important trading partner for Ireland than the UK.

There's also this:

This would give Britain a new “strategic interest” in remaining indefinitely in Northern Ireland and actively discouraging future moves towards Irish reunification.

I thought the article was supposed to give reasons why Ireland should leave the EU - not reasons why it should stay.

The article is written from the perspective of why it would be convenient for the UK if Ireland left the EU. Simply another demonstration of the arrogance of brexiters thinking the whole world should be subservient to UK interests.

It boils down to this. The EU will tell the Republic of Ireland to close the border with the north. No amount of pontificating by the Northern Ireland Assembley or the UK government will make a difference. We are banging on about access to the UK by europeans via the republic but it will be the right of access to europe via the republic that will ultimately make the decision. If the UK don't close the border to the south and the Republic of Ireland want open access to the continent you bet your last Euro the EU will...