Dont Yorkshire People sound daft when they try talk Posh.

Drunks can be quite hard to understand to be fair.

Best comment of the day! :hihi:

---------- Post added 23-11-2017 at 10:52 ----------

The problem with that sentiment is that there is no "correct", there are only different local accents, all over the country.

Not that I agree with Presley, he'd probably think that I speak posh since I don't drop my H's and don't have a detectable Sheffield accent.

I totally agree. As mentioned, it was just the double-standard I don't agree with more than anything.

I wonder if the Queen's accent would be considered correct? It's her English after all?

I wonder if the Queen's accent would be considered correct? It's her English after all?

Perhaps republicans would disagree.

The US accent is probably the most common in the world, perhaps that's 'correct' by virtue of being the most common?

It's far better to hear than the awful Sheffield accent, which frankly makes people sound a little dim.

But of course that will be 'snobbish', whereas slating people who speak correctly is just fine and dandy...

Not everyone from Sheffield speaks slang as much as not all Southerns speak Cockney .Of course you will get extremes in both areas !

People like Sean Bean and that lot on Look North.:suspect:

If this is the voice you mean then it seems to me he is well spoken with a northern accent.Certainly not what I would call posh.

https://www.advoice.co.uk/clients/sean-bean/

He means the way they're pronounced by nobby folk.. Bus = Bas, Bath = Barth,

I've never heard bus pronounced like that and although there is no R in bath it's just the difference between a long and short A.

North to South

The daan sarf accent is used by those wot carnt speak proper and it's an incorrectly held view by some northern folk that everyone in the south speaks like that.

We had some young visitors from Sheffield who said when they heard us talking

'eee dornt thay tock fooney"

Pot kettle and black sprang to mind.

I was talking to my granddaughter about her uni work and said the word graph.

She laughed and said why do you say it like that?

I said what do you mean and she said you pronounce it GRAF not GRARF

Similarly I say photograf not photograrph

Why? I don't haven't a clue, I've lived in the south all my life.

My daughter aged 5 at the time came home from school and spoke about the hovercrAft not hovercrARft.

Turned out that her teacher was from the north!

I also pronounce Greenwich as Grinidge not Grenidge

This is the peasants way I've been told.

Probably I first heard it spoken by my g/gran and aunt who lived in the East End.

We are all different and as long as we can understand one another accent doesn't matter.

---------- Post added 23-11-2017 at 13:07 ----------

Not everyone from Sheffield speaks slang as much as not all Southerns speak Cockney .Of course you will get extremes in both areas !

Very few londoners speak cockney,it's a dying accent.

What you think is cockney is that dreadful accent known as estuary english as spoken by those on TOWIE.

Edited by davyboy

I was being difficult in honesty.

It's the fact that it's ok for people to start threads slating people who talk in a way that suggest they have money/are more middle class, but if someone started a thread about how thick people from area x or y are, or how they're criminals etc (or whatever other pointless generalisation), that would be pounced on. It's the double standard I don't like.

But anyway, yep, scouse - not nice! Birmingham too.

I also can't understand anyone from Glasgow.

Well middle class is middle class, “ Claaass”

I think the OP was referring to working class Yorkshire people who clearly are Yorkshire but try to sound middle class, eg say “ new” when they mean “no”, or “rens” instead of “ runs” as Geoff Boycott just did on the Radio.

Make themselves sound stupid, pretentious, ignorant and self loathing.

Boris Johnson for example is very aware of how his way of speaking impresses the deferential working classes. He also likes to conceal his lack of ability by quoting Latin to make himself feel better about himself

---------- Post added 23-11-2017 at 13:10 ----------

.......No! any improvement is better than the idle Northern accent,especially Sheffield Dee-Da!

That’s nothing more than prejudice, at the very least you should be aware of it

Well middle class is middle class, “ Claaass”

I think the OP was referring to working class Yorkshire people who clearly are Yorkshire but try to sound middle class, eg say “ new” when they mean “no”, or “rens” instead of “ runs” as Geoff Boycott just did on the Radio.

Make themselves sound stupid, pretentious, ignorant and self loathing.

Boris Johnson for example is very aware of how his way of speaking impresses the deferential working classes. He also likes to conceal his lack of ability by quoting Latin to make himself feel better about himself

---------- Post added 23-11-2017 at 13:10 ----------

That’s nothing more than prejudice, at the very least you should be aware of it

How do you know these Yorkshire folk are trying to sound the way they do? What if those Yorkshire folk, like myself, have lived in other places and developed a less than Yorkshire accent. Without knowing the person, or their situation, would suggest that you have a chip on your shoulder.

How do you know these Yorkshire folk are trying to sound the way they do? What if those Yorkshire folk, like myself, have lived in other places and developed a less than Yorkshire accent. Without knowing the person, or their situation, would suggest that you have a chip on your shoulder.

Indeed. Or, as with myself, perhaps they have jobs where they have to speak at length with a very wide section of the country, and therefore have to be understood. 'Were it reyt good?' isn't the easiest for someone from Surrey to understand I'd suggest. As a result, people do try to speak more 'traditional English' simply to be understood, and that often stays.