Dont Yorkshire People sound daft when they try talk Posh.

There seems to be real confusion around accent and dialect. Lots of people who have been born and brought up in Yorkshire speak with an accent, but many no longer use the local dialect that was prevalent in their parents or grandparents generations.

At one time a person's origin could be pin pointed almost to a village, but many of us have had far wider experiences than our predecessors, and that's usually reflected in how we speak. I like hearing some regional accents on TV and radio, but they have to be clear and understandable. The over correction used by the Hyacinth Bucket type is as bad as clinging on to local jargon when talking to anyone from a different area. One is snobbery, the other inverted snobbery. IMO.

Actually your “ points” contain no resemblance to any of the points I have been making. Like Bargepole you take hypersensitive offence to points I haven’t made and then allow that to run away with you.

“ judged by you and your cronies” ?

Just listen to yourself.

I was responding to your question, not all of your points.

True that, us Barnsley tykes would “ lake aht “ with our mates as kids, and if a miner didn’t go to work he was “ lakin”

Still live in Barnsley but not heard that for years, possibly because there are no more mines, and I’m “all growed up”

Wasn't when miners didn't show up for work the day after a weekend known as St. Monday ?

Back to topic....

I still hate the Sheffield accent. No need to try and sound all posh. My mate grew up less than a mile from me yet his accent is the broadest I've ever heard and it sounds awful. He isn't daft, but the minute he opens his gob you'd be forgiven for thinking so.

His wife hates it too

Wasn't when miners didn't show up for work the day after a weekend known as St. Monday ?

Lol Terry Steeples used to put on go go dancers on Monday lunchtimes at the Black Swan and advertise it as Miner's Special :)

---------- Post added 27-11-2017 at 20:59 ----------

There seems to be real confusion around accent and dialect. Lots of people who have been born and brought up in Yorkshire speak with an accent, but many no longer use the local dialect that was prevalent in their parents or grandparents generations.

At one time a person's origin could be pin pointed almost to a village, but many of us have had far wider experiences than our predecessors, and that's usually reflected in how we speak. I like hearing some regional accents on TV and radio, but they have to be clear and understandable. The over correction used by the Hyacinth Bucket type is as bad as clinging on to local jargon when talking to anyone from a different area. One is snobbery, the other inverted snobbery. IMO.

One of the best TV shows for authentic accents was WHEN THE BOAT COMES IN, mind you quite a few of the cast were Geordie born and bred. Although Tynesiders would balk at Sunderland and surrounding area folk being called Geordies lol. It was that authentic that there was no way the series could be marketed in North America where British drama is quite popular.

---------- Post added 27-11-2017 at 21:02 ----------

Banksman Holiday Monday was also heard from time to time.:D

Edited by Ontarian1981

Lol Terry Steeples used to put on go go dancers on Monday lunchtimes at the Black Swan and advertise it as Miner's Special :)

---------- Post added 27-11-2017 at 20:59 ----------

One of the best TV shows for authentic accents was WHEN THE BOAT COMES IN, mind you quite a few of the cast were Geordie born and bred. Although Tynesiders would balk at Sunderland and surrounding area folk being called Geordies lol. It was that authentic that there was no way the series could be marketed in North America where British drama is quite popular.

---------- Post added 27-11-2017 at 21:02 ----------

Banksman Holiday Monday was also heard from time to time.:D

That is my all time favourite series, got the full set on DVD :hihi:

"Aye, Jack Ford...away pet"

"So long as we know"

It's my favourite British accent. Beautiful

That is my all time favourite series, got the full set on DVD :hihi:

"Aye, Jack Ford...away pet"

"So long as we know"

It's my favourite British accent. Beautiful

My favourite too, all the first 3 series are on You Tube but can't find the last series 4, although I saw it shortly before I left the country in 1981. No chance of the box set over here, it would not sell and UK DVDs won't play on my machines. So I am relying on you to upload that last series on You Tube LOL ( just kidding). Away bonnie lad :thumbsup:

My favourite too, all the first 3 series are on You Tube but can't find the last series 4, although I saw it shortly before I left the country in 1981. No chance of the box set over here, it would not sell and UK DVDs won't play on my machines. So I am relying on you to upload that last series on You Tube LOL ( just kidding). Away bonnie lad :thumbsup:

Well I ain't promising nuthin marra' neva' uploaded to youtube in my leefe....

But during the long dark nights I may have a go.

BTW, you do know how it ends don't you? I didn't and If I'm honest I wish I didn't.

Well I ain't promising nuthin marra' neva' uploaded to youtube in my leefe....

But during the long dark nights I may have a go.

BTW, you do know how it ends don't you? I didn't and If I'm honest I wish I didn't.

Yes I did see the final episode and it was sad but would still love to see the whole last series again. I often watch a couple of random episodes from the first 3 series on any given boring evening. Know what you mean about uploading stuff, I wouldn't have a clue lol Anyway ni night meowd marra.

Well you did ask about Cambridge ? Why ask me ? This is a thread about people’s accents and “ faux posh” not about your son. IF he gets in good luck to him. Access to Cambridge is not just about “ hard work” it helps if mummy or daddy can afford to send you to an expensive Public School ie. 7% of children yet Cambridge has 38% Public School educated students.

Err..... there is reason for that which is simple. Public schools provide far better education than state schools hence the higher grade achievements. Also, Cambridge also have the STEP exams which might need to be taken by potential entrants in order to give everyone an equal opportunity.

As for public school students skewing the undergraduate population, there are exceptions. Look at Oxford University's Mansfield College where 90% of its student intake is from state schools.