Retailer admits newspaper promotion was 'wrong'.

The 'Paperchase' stationery retailer has publicly admitted that it was wrong to use a national newspaper promotion to try and improve its sales.

Competition from its main rival, 'Card Factory', has seen sales fall and the promotion in the 'Daily Mail' newspaper last weekend has attracted condemnation and criticism. This has led to 'Paperchase' admitting on Twitter that it was 'wrong' to use this form of promotion and has promised never to do it again.

Is it acceptable for a retailer to promote itself in a national newspaper by offering free wrapping paper?

Should the readers of this national newspaper feel offended by the public opinion of 'Paperchase' which basically states that their newspaper of choice is politically unacceptable?

Edited by Car Boot

There's a pressure group going around hounding companies who advertise through the Daily Mail.

The "pressure group" of decent people who hate the lied filled rag.

If those happen to be people who might shop at Paperchase then they're entirely justified in expressing their opinion to paperchase and advising it that they won't support shops (by shopping at them) if they advertise in that paper.

It's then up to the retailer whether it wants to alienate some customers whilst advertising to others isn't it. They've decided that no, they'd rather not alienate existing customers. There are plenty of other papers to advertise in, which will be less likely to cause a backlash amongst its existing customer base.

The "pressure group" of decent people who hate the lied filled rag.

If those happen to be people who might shop at Paperchase then they're entirely justified in expressing their opinion to paperchase and advising it that they won't support shops (by shopping at them) if they advertise in that paper.

It's then up to the retailer whether it wants to alienate some customers whilst advertising to others isn't it. They've decided that no, they'd rather not alienate existing customers. There are plenty of other papers to advertise in, which will be less likely to cause a backlash amongst its existing customer base.

Let's have some facts about how people feel about the "lied[sic] filled rag", like its circulation compared to the other main UK newspapers.

The Sun 1,666,715

Daily Mail 1,511,357

Metro 1,476,956

Evening Standard 887,253

Daily Mirror 724,888

Daily Telegraph 472,258

The Times 451,261

Daily Star 443,452

Daily Express 392,526

i 266,768

Financial Times 188,924

The Guardian 156,756

Daily Record 155,772

City A.M. 90,319

The Independent 55,193

The New Day 40,000

The New European 20,000

Oh dear, most people in the UK seem to think differently to you. The Guardian is really on its arse, even the completely mad i does better. As for The New European, well!

If an advertisement in the Daily Mail gets somebody that agitated they really do need to take a long hard look at their mental health.

I am not happy with the way this pressure group operates, the DM, etc is appalling, but is this the way to go? One day it could be a growing left media(yes i know) who could be subject to this approach, and of course in the U.S it was advertisers themselves who frequently dictated output, less now with the streaming services.

it also just doesn't sit right.

Let's have some facts about how people feel about the "lied[sic] filled rag", like its circulation compared to the other main UK newspapers.

The Sun 1,666,715

Daily Mail 1,511,357

Metro 1,476,956

Evening Standard 887,253

Daily Mirror 724,888

Daily Telegraph 472,258

The Times 451,261

Daily Star 443,452

Daily Express 392,526

i 266,768

Financial Times 188,924

The Guardian 156,756

Daily Record 155,772

City A.M. 90,319

The Independent 55,193

The New Day 40,000

The New European 20,000

Oh dear, most people in the UK seem to think differently to you. The Guardian is really on its arse, even the completely mad i does better. As for The New European, well!

If an advertisement in the Daily Mail gets somebody that agitated they really do need to take a long hard look at their mental health.

just shows like brexit theres a hell of a lot of IDIOTS out there that suck up right wing feeling.

The Sun 1,666,715

Daily Mail 1,511,357

Metro 1,476,956

Evening Standard 887,253

Daily Mirror 724,888

Daily Telegraph 472,258

The Times 451,261

Daily Star 443,452

Daily Express 392,526

i 266,768

Financial Times 188,924

The Guardian 156,756

Daily Record 155,772

City A.M. 90,319

The Independent 55,193

The New Day 40,000

The New European 20,000

The Guardian has truly massive online readership though, and healthy membership who support it.

lots of the other paper have their numbers boosted as giveaways.

Edited by gamezone07