Retailer admits newspaper promotion was 'wrong'.

Let's have some facts about how people feel about the "lied[sic] filled rag", like its circulation compared to the other main UK newspapers.

The Sun 1,666,715

Daily Mail 1,511,357

Metro 1,476,956

Evening Standard 887,253

Daily Mirror 724,888

Daily Telegraph 472,258

The Times 451,261

Daily Star 443,452

Daily Express 392,526

i 266,768

Financial Times 188,924

The Guardian 156,756

Daily Record 155,772

City A.M. 90,319

The Independent 55,193

The New Day 40,000

The New European 20,000

Oh dear, most people in the UK seem to think differently to you. The Guardian is really on its arse, even the completely mad i does better. As for The New European, well!

If an advertisement in the Daily Mail gets somebody that agitated they really do need to take a long hard look at their mental health.

Most people?

Do you believe that 1.5 million people is somehow "most" in a country of over 60 million.

Back to school for you.

You're entitled to your opinion of course, but I'm quite happy to tell a shop I won't shop there if they advertise in that paper. That's not being agitated, it's having my opinion and using my purchasing power to do something with it. Apparently it works, as Paperchase won't be paying the DM any more advertising monies.

If that agitates you then you should take a long hard look at your mental health.

Most people?

Do you believe that 1.5 million people is somehow "most" in a country of over 60 million.

Back to school for you.

You're entitled to your opinion of course, but I'm quite happy to tell a shop I won't shop there if they advertise in that paper. That's not being agitated, it's having my opinion and using my purchasing power to do something with it. Apparently it works, as Paperchase won't be paying the DM any more advertising monies.

If that agitates you then you should take a long hard look at your mental health.

If Paperchase had been advertising in Islamic State Weekly the people currently frothing at the mouth about press freedom would be calling for boycotts.

I am not happy with the way this pressure group operates, the DM, etc is appalling, but is this the way to go? One day it could be a growing left media(yes i know) who could be subject to this approach, and of course in the U.S it was advertisers themselves who frequently dictated output, less now with the streaming services.

it also just doesn't sit right.

The ability to take away custom is pretty much the only influence consumers have over businesses. Talk with your wallet.

I really can't see the problem of Paperchase's presumably mostly middle class customers telling it that if it wishes to advertise in that paper they will take their middle class opinions and £££ and spend them elsewhere.

Paperchase can then make an informed decision about who it wants as customers.

As to the repeated "pressure group" moniker. Is there really an organised group, or is it just disparate people who don't like that paper and used the power of social media to organise a brief campaign to bring this to Paperchases' notice?

---------- Post added 23-11-2017 at 11:54 ----------

If Paperchase had been advertising in Islamic State Weekly the people currently frothing at the mouth about press freedom would be calling for boycotts.

Yes indeed. Although I'm sure they'll deny it.

just shows like brexit theres a hell of a lot of IDIOTS out there that suck up right wing feeling.

I can't stand the right wing papers, or the right in general, but it is a legitimate political viewpoint, they are not all stupid, many have just been given a 5000 bung by Spreadsheet Phil. I really dislike this smearing of people who don't vote they way the left wants it too, its not a good look.

I can't stand the right wing papers, or the right in general, but it is a legitimate political viewpoint, they are not all stupid, many have just been given a 5000 bung by Spreadsheet Phil. I really dislike this smearing of people who don't vote they way the left wants it too, its not a good look.

Thats my personal opinion, If i think they are idiots they are idiots in my view, its not a left or right view its MY view.

Theres a newspaper spreading xenophobia, racism and hatred by twisting facts and telling twisted stories. Its called the Daily Mail.

dont forget the express, when all the other papers had the offshore accounts for the rich story, they had foreign aid on the front instead, trying to rile people up.

Let's have some facts about how people feel about the "lied[sic] filled rag", like its circulation compared to the other main UK newspapers.

The Sun 1,666,715

Daily Mail 1,511,357

Metro 1,476,956

Evening Standard 887,253

Daily Mirror 724,888

Daily Telegraph 472,258

The Times 451,261

Daily Star 443,452

Daily Express 392,526

i 266,768

Financial Times 188,924

The Guardian 156,756

Daily Record 155,772

City A.M. 90,319

The Independent 55,193

The New Day 40,000

The New European 20,000

Oh dear, most people in the UK seem to think differently to you. The Guardian is really on its arse, even the completely mad i does better. As for The New European, well!

If an advertisement in the Daily Mail gets somebody that agitated they really do need to take a long hard look at their mental health.

Yep, the problem isn't with the lie filled rags, it's with the people who are willing to buy them.

Theres a newspaper spreading xenophobia, racism and hatred by twisting facts and telling twisted stories. Its called the Daily Mail.

Yep, I have to agree.

The Daily Mail is simply a propaganda vehicle, but for some reason people believe they are reading proper news. Unfortunately its circulation make it very influential indeed.

At least the Paperchase debacle has raised awareness of what the DM actually is.

It's a legitimate use of consumer pressure to tell a shop you won't shop there if they advertise in the right wing press.

It's not a smear, it's consumer pressure.

---------- Post added 23-11-2017 at 12:20 ----------

There was a large campaign against nectar points as well when they formed some kind of DM tie up.