Retailer admits newspaper promotion was 'wrong'.

I wonder if Paperchase will donate profits made, that can reasonably quantifiably be attributed to its Daily Mail advertising, to charity. LOL.

Seems reasonable but no need to wonder. Why don’t you email that suggestion to them.

The 'apology' from Paperchase was cringing! What I don't understand is the fact that other retailers offer free gifts and discounted items in the DM and DE but don't attract all this vitriol - what's the difference? (Today's Sunday Express advertised free chocolates from One Stop on their front page and reduced books at WHSmith).

The 'apology' from Paperchase was cringing! What I don't understand is the fact that other retailers offer free gifts and discounted items in the DM and DE but don't attract all this vitriol - what's the difference? (Today's Sunday Express advertised free chocolates from One Stop on their front page and reduced books at WHSmith).

I guess it’s a targeted campaign in some way. Nobody knows what One Stop is really in terms of a brand so what’s the point? Smiths is an obvious link-in for papers - it sells them. It’d be daft to attack it because the logical conclusion would be for it to remove the Express and Mail from sale and it’s obviously never going to do that, and not should it.

markets are responding to consumer demand.

Demands, not demand, unless you the numbers to hand on how many people objected -v- how many used the promotion. I think we both know how that statistic will turn out.

It's not my paper of choice either, but it seems to me that there is far too much virtue signaling going on here. The gobby fringes are far too full of themselves and having seen or even 'won' some kind of victory we've now got silly calls for restitution for Paperchase's thought crime.

Demands, not demand, unless you the numbers to hand on how many people objected -v- how many used the promotion. I think we both know how that statistic will turn out.

It's not my paper of choice either, but it seems to me that there is far too much virtue signaling going on here. The gobby fringes are far too full of themselves and having seen or even 'won' some kind of victory we've now got silly calls for restitution for Paperchase's thought crime.

More like the gobby Daily Mail got its comeuppance. Furthermore, I'd rather have 'left wing virtue signalling' than the Daily Mail's own nasty brand of dog whistle politics any day of the week.

Edited by Mister M

It’s all part of consumer behaviour, which is not just limited to buying things.

More like the gobby Daily Mail got its comeuppance. Furthermore, I'd rather have 'left wing virtue signalling' than the Daily Mail's own nasty brand of dog whistle politics any day of the week.

You're another one who doesn't know what dog whistle politics is. The Daily Mail is a lot of things, but it doesn't do hidden messaging. It ain't subtle.