Depression-how I feel

Hi, sorry to hear you're feeling so low, it's rotten isn't it? But I think Ridgewalk is right, it too will pass. They say moving house is one of the most stressful things you can do, and you've also moved to a different town which is bound to be extra unsettling. I bet you've also had a few sleepless nights in the run up to the move as well; the letter from the Landlord, looking for somewhere else to live etc. It's no small thing you've gone through, you must be exhausted.

I'd go and see the doctor for a start, (you probably need to register anyway,) and he may be able to give you a few pointers with regards to things you could do. Exercise is also good for depression if you can manage it, and joining a gym or a walking group would get you out of the house and maybe the chance to meet new people. (You can also get a few weeks at the gym for free if its for medical reasons including depression;ask your doctor.)

There's other good advice on here which you might consider like voluntary work - nothing like it for taking your mind off things. And I know this sounds twee, but I always try and think of 4 or 5 things a day for which I'm grateful - there's always something, and it's surprising how it turns your mind from negative to positive thinking.

Anyway, let us know how you're getting on, and I really do hope you're feeling a bit better soon.

AmberLeaf - we use the term ‘depression’ as an umbrella term but actually there are different types. Reactive depression in response to traumatic life events is something many people will have at some time in their life and it will eventually resolve with time and minimal intervention. Conditions such as bipolar disease are completely different. We therefore cannot judge and I don’t necessarily believe that depressed people are selfish. I just think that as with any illness, physical or mental a person can either sit back and do very little or they can try to be the best they can within the limits of their condition.

It is good that you are doing well now without help from the mental health team.

The OP doesn’t say where she is moving to but if it is a small town it is possible that the care could be better if there is less pressure on the service. We live in a small town and are lucky in that we have a lot of support from the statutory services. Most carers are depressed, anxious and sleep deprived so any help is much appreciated. Hopefully the OP will also get the support she needs when she is settled in her new home.

Problems are Problems, no matter where you live or what you do they will always be there, from your post it seems like you have problems with your family, may I suggest you try and sort those problems out first - if its something like mental abuse or such get a third party involved. To an extent, where you live doesn't matter, it's what you do once your there, leaving home doesn't mean your all grown up and going forward in life, and moving towns/citys is the same, just as moving back doesn't mean your a loser.

Friends come and go (sad to say) but family will always be family - sort that problem out and your threequaters of the way to happyness.

AmberLeaf - your mental health team may be ‘useless’ but this lady is moving to a different area and they might well be quite good. This negative attitude is the crux of the problem. These people can help but it is a two way process. You cannot expect them to wave a magic wand and make you better. There are many people who are very ill indeed and have good reason to be depressed but soldier on. As a carer of such a person I don’t have time to be depressed or even think about myself! It might be an unfashionable view but my advice is to get out, be busy and think about others rather than oneself.

It's not just unfashionable, it's terrible advice.

Telling someone with depression to just pull their socks up and stop feeling depressed is like telling an alcoholic to just not want to have a drink.

It's less than helpful, the complete opposite of helpful.