Winter weather thread 2017/2018

Padders

Quote:

Originally Posted by jgharston

Don't know if they are or not, but all the main-roads are absolutely fine (and very quiet) at the moment. Buses and trams seem to be running pretty normal along main roads.

Walkley bus route 95 still suspended, so not entirely true! I'm sure there are other buses not running too.

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I work at a nursing home in Burnegreave. whilst walking up the road to work I noticed that the road wasn't gritted/cleared but the one nearest to it was. I know its a side street. when I arrived at work I saw an ambulance struggling to drive up the road. Myself and 4 of my colleagues pushed the ambulance to the top of the road and then we gritted the entire street so other ambulances could gain access.

The SCC know that there is a nursing home on this road so why wasn't it gritted/cleared. This is putting people at risk. what really upset us was the fact that the locals were stood in their windows watching us grit this road in freezing conditions.

Well done for doing this. I'm not in the peak of physical fitness but I always enjoy helping where I can. Its a good opportunity to be neighbourly.

Know what you mean rogets bit over reported at times but you read about people that have sadly died , which happens in any spell of bad weather and then you read the good stories like people handing food out and babies born in cars at side of road . Not too bad in Dronfield at moment snow has virtually stopped and life is coming back cars moving about .

When you think about it there was probably a max of 4inches that settled.

I think you're generalising there. You may only have that depth, but given the fact we measured 7in Wednesday evening on our road, I'll bet pound to a penny others have more than what you've recorded. We had further snow overnight and it didn't stop snowing til lunchtime today. I haven't measured it because it's drifting now so might give an unfair reading.

In the1980s that would have been seen as a let down

In 2018 it's the beast from the east

It wasn't. I was at school in the 80s and remember entire winters when we got no more than a light dusting.

I think you're generalising there. You may only have that depth, but given the fact we measured 7in Wednesday evening on our road, I'll bet pound to a penny others have more than what you've recorded. We had further snow overnight and it didn't stop snowing til lunchtime today. I haven't measured it because it's drifting now so might give an unfair reading.

Exactly the same here in Birdwell ...... and it's snowing again now.

Walkley bus route 95 still suspended, so not entirely true! I'm sure there are other buses not running too.

Also, Yorkshire Water have acknowledged on their website that there are some frozen water mains in the area resulting in low or non-existant water pressure. I spoke to a couple of residents on South Road earlier and water is either dribbling from taps or nothing at all. Don't know how far spread it is, but it'll be worse the further uphill you are.

(My problem's the other end - my drains have frozen!)

---------- Post added 01-03-2018 at 19:44 ----------

There was two feet against my door, and by the time I dug myself out I got to the gennel which had been swept bare by the wind.