Westbury Street, 1930s/40s

RiffRaff

Hope someone can help with this, please?

My father-in-law - now in his 90s and sadly suffering with alzheimer's - was born/raised on Westbury Street in Attercliffe/Darnall.

Like most who suffer from the affliction, he can remember certain aspects from years ago, but his short-term memory is shot, to the extent he's not even sure of his name or current address at times.

Rather than confuse him any more, I'm trying to talk to him about things he can remember, and have found/printed what photo's I can find of Westbury Street.

Anyone with access to Kelly's for an accurate house number for the Morement family?

He thinks it was in the sixties, but it would be great to be able to positively identify...

Also, I guess there may be other families that recognise the surname?

Thanks in advance.

Hi RiffRaff - I have a number of Kelly's directories from the 1920s to the 1970s but unfortunately, most of the householders of Westbury Street are not listed; usually only businesses and the occupants of some of the even-numbered houses are shown - here is the listing in the 1940 directory (compiled in mid-1939). I don't know why this is, but for some reason Kelly's often didn’t list the occupants of "court" houses, and among the entries for Westbury Street in the directories I have I couldn't find a Morement family. However, the "1939 Register" shows two Morement households in Westbury Street - Frederick F. & Elizabeth A. Morement at No 68 and Harry & Rose Morement at No 69 opposite. Here are scans of the entries (the "Hammerton" in green ink alongside Rose's name indicates that she married Wilfred Hammerton in 1956). Frederick and Elizabeth Morement were evidently Harry’s parents (Frederick Morement married Elizabeth Stewart in 1913). Some of their other children were probably also at No 68 but they need to be either deceased or over 100 years old to be shown in the online version of the Register. To judge from the births index, possible children are Frederick, Harry, Violet, Lillian, Jack, Dorothy, Kenneth and Audrey, born between 1915 and 1934.

I imagine you've seen the photos of Westbury Street on the picturesheffield.com site but here is a link to one on which the second house from the left is No 68 - here's a map.

Edited by hillsbro

Grateful thanks to hillsbro, retep and duffems for the PM.

Terrific result!

Seems like the old boy was correct about the house being in the 60s after all...he's indeed one of the children mentioned in hilsbro's list - and yes, I know the photo to which you refer. Fantastic coincidence that the actual house in shown so clearly....

What a horrible affliction dementia - in all forms - is. God willing, the cause, and a cure, will be found....

My thanks again.

• 1 year later...