The Engagement.

I have just done a quick calculation and I reckon the 39 million they cost us last year would have paid for about 1200 extra nurses a year.What would we rather have, a royal family or 1200 more nurses.I know which I would rather have.

The Royal Family boosted the British economy by an estimated £1.8billion last year.

Some of that (£550m) comes from tourism, which can be argued would continue anyway without the Royal Family.

That still leaves £1.25billion, which comes from their positive effect on international trade, (estimated to be £150 million per year), and boosts to British brands via the patronage of members of the monarchy, (through official Royal Warrants or high-profile visits to events).

You also can't ignore the tourist boost that happens for Royal events, such as weddings or births - they wouldn't happen anyway.

The Royal Family boosted the British economy by an estimated £1.8billion last year.

Some of that (£550m) comes from tourism, which can be argued would continue anyway without the Royal Family.

That still leaves £1.25billion, which comes from their positive effect on international trade, (estimated to be £150 million per year), and boosts to British brands via the patronage of members of the monarchy, (through official Royal Warrants or high-profile visits to events).

You also can't ignore the tourist boost that happens for Royal events, such as weddings or births - they wouldn't happen anyway.

I doubt that much of that tourism profit feeds back here to Barnsley.Not unless Harry and Meghan decide to set up home near Penistone.

I doubt that much of that tourism profit feeds back here to Barnsley.Not unless Harry and Meghan decide to set up home near Penistone.

I don't suppose it does no - but the extra money that the treasury gets will be redistributed across the country.

Spending per head in the north is higher than spending per head in the south (exc. London).

Spending per head in Yorkshire and Humber was £8,791 (2015/16).

Spending per head in the South East was £7,977 (2015/16).

There are of course good reasons for this, but the point is money is generally distributed across the country.

I honestly couldn't give a flying *****. Harry and the yank mean nothing to me.

In case my subtlety went unnoticed. I'm not patriotic in the slightest, Not a Royalist.

The whole draconian upper echelons of this country need to be given major makeover.

I honestly do think when our current queen passes, the whole Royalty thing should be down graded. The world has moved on. Do we really need to offer such adulation to a family whose only right was that their ancestors were better at killing, looting, raping and god knows what other horrors in times past.

The armed forces, changing of the guards and pomp is very much a British thing and I think it could well survive without HRH.

On a personal note, my young son who has worked tirelessly at primary school was supposed to have gone into Sheffield on Friday as treat. He and all the other children were excited. Today they were told it had been cancelled due to Harry and the Yank!!

I suppose we're just commoners.

Edited by mrcharlie

I don't suppose it does no - but the extra money that the treasury gets will be redistributed across the country.

Spending per head in the north is higher than spending per head in the south (exc. London).

Spending per head in Yorkshire and Humber was £8,791 (2015/16).

Spending per head in the South East was £7,977 (2015/16).

There are of course good reasons for this, but the point is money is generally distributed across the country.

I think its the scots and the northern irish who get the most per head,over 11 grand, ours is quite low compared to a lot of the country.

But Penistone’s not “really” Barnsley is it ? Come to Kendray, Athersley, or Lundwood. We’d find them a billet

I think its the scots and the northern irish who get the most per head,over 11 grand, ours is quite low compared to a lot of the country.

Northern Ireland (£10,983), Scotland (£10,536) and London (£10,129) do indeed get the most per head, but the point that the north gets more spending more head than the south (exc. London) still stands.

The only other places that get more spending per head than Yorkshire and the Humber are the North East, The North West and Wales.

Your point that the direct tourism profits will be concentrated in the south is I am sure true, however as I've pointed out the extra money that the Treasury gets due to this is redistributed more equally.

If that were not the case spending per head in the south (where most of the wealth and therefore tax receipts come from) would be far in excess of that in the north, which is not true in reality.

As an ex soldier having served in the same theatre as Harry I have the utmost respect for him and for the work he does with injured soldiers and the invictus games.

In the media he comes across as a decent young man.

I am not looking forward to all the hype from the media but I wish them well.

ditto:cool: