Massive new advertising screens on Park Square roundabout

I think 95% of them.are too busy texting or doing there hair with what I see daily

I drive past them everyday and while i don't like them(ugly and gives a crappy impression of the city), the ones on Park Square roundabout are not distracting at all, thankfully they are not like the ones on the parkway that used to be so bright they dazzled you when it was dark.

Also i think 95% of drivers are too busy looking at the lights, waiting for them to change than to give a toss about looking at a sign.

The ad’s hardly contribute to road safety but the Council line will be that there are loads of distractions that drivers have to manage so adding one more is no big deal - the ad’s add a little colour and perform a useful, life-enhancing, information function ... etc

Oh, and the revenue raised for the Council is useful, too. If it keeps a few old folks in a care Home ...

Technically the advertisement boards are placed in areas where traffic lights bring motorists to a temporary standstill and are not designed to be looked at when drivers are moving. Where traffic lights are on red for a minute or two, drivers automatically put a motor vehicle into a safe position and generally have a few moments to allow for a temporary distraction of attention

Drivers shouldn't be looking at anything other than the road and any potential hazards whilst driving a motor vehicle anyway, if they feel the need to look at advertising boards whilst in a moving vehicle then they shouldn't be on the road as it is driving without due care and attention. It is as clear cut as that in my opinion.

I happened to be sat in heavy, rush-hour traffic at the traffic lights near to B&Q on Penistone road the other week. Whilst these boards generally contain a great deal of main stream advertising, I did notice that the electronic advertising board in this particular position was carrying photographs of missing people in the local area. If one of these boards catches the eye of a motorist and as a result helps to locate a missing individual, surely it isn't all bad?

Edited by sheffstats

Technically the advertisement boards are placed in areas where traffic lights bring motorists to a temporary standstill and are not designed to be looked at when drivers are moving. Where traffic lights are on red for a minute or two, drivers automatically put a motor vehicle into a safe position and generally have a few moments to allow for a temporary distraction of attention

Drivers shouldn't be looking at anything other than the road and any potential hazards whilst driving a motor vehicle anyway, if they feel the need to look at advertising boards whilst in a moving vehicle then they shouldn't be on the road as it is driving without due care and attention. It is as clear cut as that in my opinion.

I happened to be sat in heavy, rush-hour traffic at the traffic lights near to B&Q on Penistone road the other week. Whilst these boards generally contain a great deal of main stream advertising, I did notice that the electronic advertising board in this particular position was carrying photographs of missing people in the local area. If one of these boards catches the eye of a motorist and as a result helps to locate a missing individual, surely it isn't all bad?

Not disagreeing with you except for the comment “drivers put the vehicle automatically in a safe position”.

The most common two-vehicle Incident is the read-end shunt. Slowing down for stationary traffic ahead, controlling those behind and arriving to go and/or retaining an escape route if you do have to stop doesn’t happen “automatically” (without refresher training, for example). Too many drivers have too little space too often and then act surprised when it goes pear-shaped. Neither does moving off only when there’s space to move into judging by the number of incidents at roundabouts.

Taking time to look at an advertising hoarding, not having space and mis-timing driving operations could arguably make read-ends more likely. Time will tell.

The landowner, in this case SCC, grant a license to the advertising board operaters, in this case JC Decaux, in return for a fee. They are positioned to avoid being a road safety issue, so anyone nervously worrying that they are a distraction is likely too nervous to be driving anyway. If you're worried about advertising boards, be careful of those big red buses and lorries out there too, and whatever you do turn off your radio and satnav - those things are killers too.

It's good for the city and brightens the place up.