EU Brexit - £50 or 60 Billion?

was it the EU that closed down our coal mines, or Maggie Thatcher ?

It was Thatcher that closed the mines.

It was the EU that destroyed our fishing industry.

The UK used to enjoy fishing areas that extended up to 200 miles from our coast. Under the terms we joined the EU, this distance was reduced to just 12 miles, costing us fishing sales that would now be worth £2 billion a year.

Sorry, it's past my bed time so I may be a little confused. The other poster said that if we were Germany or France we would have never joined the EU and I was pointing out that they are part of the EU.

Sorry my bad

What I was trying to imply was that because Germany and France both share the same continent, they don't actually have physical borders as we do here in the UK, I always get the impression they are incredibly jealous of the UK position and the very real fact that as an Island we are at a major advantage to global imports/exports.

A crude parallel would be those who live in either a terraced or semi feeling envious to those who live in a detatched.

The UK used to enjoy fishing areas that extended up to 200 miles from our coast. Under the terms we joined the EU, this distance was reduced to just 12 miles, costing us fishing sales that would now be worth £2 billion a year.

And Brexit will cost us billions a year. Lower growth than the rest of Europe ahead of Brexit is already costing us £25 billion a year. Get ready for South Yorkshire getting a lot poorer because of the idiocy of its voters 18 months ago.

Sorry my bad

What I was trying to imply was that because Germany and France both share the same continent, they don't actually have physical borders as we do here in the UK, I always get the impression they are incredibly jealous of the UK position and the very real fact that as an Island we are at a major advantage to global imports/exports.

France and Germany each have several large-scale sea ports (though much actually ships to/from the Netherlands, just like for the UK's own imports/exports), have export volumes dwarfing that of the UK, and if you've ever seen the Rhine, well sure it ain't the Channel, but it's not exactly the Don or even the Thames, either.

The UK is pretty much the semi (shortly downsizing to a terraced) house in your analogy, I'm afraid.

Edited by L00b

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/britains-fishy-role-in-the-quota-hopping-scandal-1315516.html

Britain's fishy role in the quota-hopping scandal

Foreign vessels are legally taking a large chunk of the UK's fishing quota. But it is our own government's double-think and double-talk that is to blame rather than the minefield of EU rule

In fact, the British fishing fleet has not been damaged by the Common Fisheries Policy. The middle-distance and inshore fleets, which are covered by the EU policy, increased in size for most of the Eighties and have started to decline rapidly only in the past few years (when fish stocks all over the world have been under severe pressure). If you exclude the quota-hoppers from the UK figures, the decline is steeper. But the economics of fish is local and variable. Some British ports and some types of vessel have done very well indeed. Huge sums are being paid by British fishermen at this moment, for new super-trawlers.

This is complex but it is vital to an understanding of quota-hoppers. In the early Eighties, there were a couple of dozen. Their numbers exploded during the decade. Why? Because British trawler owners sold their boats to the Spanish and Dutch. Or in some cases they sold them to British brokers, who sold them to the Spanish and Dutch. Why? Because they were offering the best price.

The main alternative - EU scrapping grants - were not on offer in Britain. Why were the foreign skippers so keen to buy British boats? Because under British, not EU, regulations, if you bought the boat, you also got the licence to fish and a guaranteed share of the national quota.

It is a purely British government policy to break down the national quota boat by boat, and allow the sale of quotas, in this way. Other EU governments have other ways of enforcing (or in some cases failing to enforce) the Common Fisheries Policy.

There are quota-hoppers in other EU countries, a few dozen in Ireland, some in France and Denmark. But the greatest concentration is in Britain.

Spanish and Dutch "plunderers" bought their share of the British quota in good faith, exploiting, according to your viewpoint, EU single market law, the British Government's belief that everything has a price, or a loophole in the Common Fisheries Policy. They now, reasonably enough, claim that they have an inalienable right to carry on fishing.

EU officials say that there are several ways in which Britain could make life difficult for quota-hoppers and stay within EU law. Britain could, for instance, insist that all British fishing boats must land a proportion of their annual catch (say, 30 per cent) for sale or processing at a British port. Until now, the Government has declined to do this. Why? Because many Scottish boats, in particular, like to sell their catches directly to Spain or France, where prices for some species are much higher.

Edited by chalga

Sorry my bad

A crude parallel would be those who live in either a terraced or semi feeling envious to those who live in a detatched.

France has a Channel coast, an Atlantic coast and a Mediterranean coast as well as being on the European mainland. They are better positioned for global trade than the UK is.

I have read that the EU will keep generous fishing rights, as part of the deal.

But then again, Germany and France don't have raving bigots in positions of power and influence. That begging bowl will see plenty of use.

Germany: 'Alternative for Germany' could soon become the country’s main opposition party, and if there are new elections the AfD may increase their support and number of seats. The AfD is the third largest party in the Bundestag, with 94 seats.

France: Marine Le Pen gained almost 11 million votes in the final round of the French presidential election. She has since been elected to the National Assembly.

Germany: 'Alternative for Germany' could soon become the country’s main opposition party, and if there are new elections the AfD may increase their support and number of seats. The AfD is the third largest party in the Bundestag, with 94 seats.

France: Marine Le Pen gained almost 11 million votes in the final round of the French presidential election. She has since been elected to the National Assembly.

Here, it is the Tories and UKIP who are the biggest loons on a par with Marine Le Pen. They got a far higher percentage of the votes here than what the extremists got anywhere else.

Here, it is the Tories and UKIP who are the biggest loons on a par with Marine Le Pen. They got a far higher percentage of the votes here than what the extremists got anywhere else.

The Tories are nowhere near on a par with Le Pen. She is an abomination.