The Impartiality Of The BBC.

It costs £147 for a BBC TV licence, which is £12.25 per month.

It costs £5.99 per month to watch Netflix (£71.88 per year).

What radio stations does Netflix provide?

What news and investigative journalism output does Netflix provide?

What web portals covering any number of subjects does Netflix provide?

You compare apples to sausages.

If, like me, you enjoy watching quality television drama such as 'Narcos' or 'Breaking Bad' then it's time to leave behind the dull as ditchwater programming of the complacent BBC ('Bargain Hunt', 'Doctors' and 'Holby City') and join the 21st Century streaming TV revolution.

As before, you wouldn't know, you don't watch! :loopy:

None of the programs you highlight are created by Netflix, rather third parties, like the BBC.

Netflix and many others around the world collaborate with the BBC because they recognise the exceptionally high standards of production and quality output the BBC produce.

Having to compare drama on one platform, to soaps & reality TV on another further undermines your claims. Again, you compare apples to sausages, you have to because your claims are plainy garbage.

Can we assume from your choice of favourites that you are not a fan of anything culturally relevant to the UK? I guess we'll have to, you would ;)

Also, funny you should mention streaming, because the BBC were one of the first to bring it to the mainstream with the iPlayer. Revolutionary at the time.

Another example where the BBC is well ahead of the curve in todays increasingly connected world. :cool:

No 1950's style, old fashioned and out of date, BBC TV licence necessary.

Paid for by all, for all. Like all public services, by far the most sensible system. Poll after poll, even the ropey ones you can come up with, show the majority agree.

Edited by Magilla

You do know the licence fee pays for 1001 other things beyond that dont you?

Yes, unfortunately, I do.

Everything from the unnecessary World Service to new television and radio stations in Russia and North Korea. Expanding its already massive online presence and competing directly with national and local newspapers. Taking full control of UKTV which has 'Dave' and the 'Gold' commercial channels. Many, many radio stations which compete with commercial radio. The huge BBC salaries for its overpaid 'talent'.

And the huge salaries for its overpaid and pampered metropolitan elite management.

Empire building and huge salaries.

If you want the Licence fee to not be an ownership tax by definition, then the wording of Section 363 needs to be changed, so that the legal basis on which the Licence fee arises and exists, is not tied to the "installation or use of a TV receiver", but instead gets tied to (e.g.) "live broadcasts" and/or "content authored by the BBC" and variations on those themes. There's a lot of statutory precedent about those expressions in e.g. the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, from which such amendments could be inspired.

Such changes are done by MPs in Parliament (is the other point ;)).

But that has already been done with the implementation of The Communications (Television Licensing) (Amendment) Regulations 2016 which was put to Parliament. The act changed the meanings of "television receiver" and "use." That change also made it necessary for anyone using the BBC iPlayer to also need a licence. In that instance no TV is needed only a device that is internet enabled, so it therefore can't be an ownership tax on a TV!

I hope that now clears this up. :)

What radio stations does Netflix provide?

What news and investigative journalism output does Netflix provide?

What web portals covering any number of subjects does Netflix provide?

You compare apples to sausages.

Netflix concentrates on providing high quality television streaming and download content, original and exclusive comedy, drama and films. Unlike the BBC, it is simply not interested in dominating the national and global media by empire building at the expense of the UK poor.

None of the programs you highlight are created by Netflix, rather third parties, like the BBC.

I only mentioned two. One of which, the outstanding 'Narcos' is most certainly created by Netflix. It is a Netflix original.

Edited by Car Boot

Yes, unfortunately, I do.

Everything from the unnecessary World Service to new television and radio stations in Russia and North Korea.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-37990220

And boosted by the government you have entrusted with negotiating Brexit on your behalf, so presumably you support them in this endeavour.

Maybe, just maybe, a post Brexit Britain will need some method to advance UK interests around the world? Hmmm, seems like money well spent!

Expanding its already massive online presence and competing directly with national and local newspapers.

And winning according to you, must be doing something right eh ;)

Taking full control of UKTV which has 'Dave' and the 'Gold' commercial channels.

Monetising the old content to suppliment the new and keep the license fee low, exactly what they should be doing.

Many, many radio stations which compete with commercial radio.

And always have, commercial radio isn't struggling.

The huge BBC salaries for its overpaid 'talent'.

Invariably less than they're paid by commercial enterprises.

And the huge salaries for its overpaid and pampered metropolitan elite management.

Empire building and huge salaries.

Oh, not so "out of touch" anymore... progress. See, you can teach an old dog new tricks :hihi:

---------- Post added 05-12-2017 at 16:09 ----------

Netflix concentrates on providing high quality television streaming and download content, original and exclusive comedy, drama and films. Unlike the BBC, it is simply not interested in dominating the national and global media by empire building at the expense of the UK poor.

Come off it, now you're just sounding desperate. Have some self respect at least..... :|

I only mentioned two. One of which, the outstanding 'Narcos' is most certainly created by Netflix. It is a Netflix original.

Narcos is made by Gaumont International Television and exclusively distributed by Netflix. They did pay for it though.... hmmmm, OK I'll give you that one :)

Edited by Magilla

But that has already been done with the implementation of The Communications (Television Licensing) (Amendment) Regulations 2016 which was put to Parliament. The act changed the meanings of "television receiver" and "use." That change also made it necessary for anyone using the BBC iPlayer to also need a licence. In that instance no TV is needed only a device that is internet enabled, so it therefore can't be an ownership tax on a TV!

I hope that now clears this up. :)

It hasn't been done, the 2016 regulation which you mention is one which the SecState made under the CA 2003 as I explained to you, as an amendment to still-earlier regulations (The Communications (Television Licensing) Regulations 2004) also made under the CA 2003.

See for yourself :)

A regulation is not an Act, it is subordinate to it.

As for the definition of a TV receiver, see Section 368 of the CA 2003. Same principle as I explained about S.363 before: this is the ground rule.

The meaning of TV receiver was not changed from the Act (it being the 'reference' meaning), the definition was simply expanded in the 2016 regulations for bringing the 2004 definition more up to date with new online/streaming products developed and mass-adopted in the meantime.

In the meantime you'll have perhaps noted from my earlier posts of yesterday, that I have consistently referred to 'TV receivers' and 'receiving equipment', not to 'TV' as in 'a TV set': I'm well aware that the statutory definition of a TV receiver is significantly broader than 'a TV set'. See e.g. my first post (#93) on the topic.

I don't mind clearing this up ;)

Edited by L00b

I like the BBC and I like what it represents. I don't mind paying the licence fee - I rarely watch more than 10-12 hrs of television a week, but listen to plenty of R4 and R6Music which are both of a consistently high quality.

One of the chief attributes of the institution is that it isn't paid for by advertising revenue, which in my view is also the chief disadvantage of all other providers.

I like the BBC and I like what it represents. I don't mind paying the licence fee - I rarely watch more than 10-12 hrs of television a week, but listen to plenty of R4 and R6Music which are both of a consistently high quality.

One of the chief attributes of the institution is that it isn't paid for by advertising revenue, which in my view is also the chief disadvantage of all other providers.

I dislike the expensive BBC and I dislike the wealthy, out of touch metropolitan pro-EU pampered elite that it represents. I don't watch any BBC television, which I consider to be deeply politically biased and hugely inferior to similar content produced elsewhere.

I much prefer to watch Netflix, with its streamlined consumer orientated high quality content. One of the chief attributes of Netflix is that there are no adverts and I can consume content when it's convenient to me.

No BBC schedulers on Netflix dictating when I must watch something, as if its the 1960's. This in my view is a prime disadvantage of terrestrial BBC TV, which like the BBC TV licence fee is stuck very much in the last Century.

Edited by Car Boot

I dislike the expensive BBC and I dislike the wealthy, out of touch metropolitan pro-EU pampered elite that it represents. I don't watch any BBC television, which I consider to be deeply politically biased and hugely inferior to similar content produced elsewhere.

Since you don't watch, you can't claim it's biased or inferior. :loopy:

I much prefer to watch Netflix, with its streamlined consumer orientated high quality content. One of the chief attributes of Netflix is that there are no adverts and I can consume content when it's convenient to me.

No BBC schedulers on Netflix dictating when I must watch something, as if its the 1960's.

Except, in this regard there is very little difference between Netflix and the BBC, since you can watch BBC content on iPlayer at a time of your choosing.

This in my view is a prime disadvantage of terrestrial BBC TV

How fortunate then that this disadvantage doesn't actually exist.

which like the BBC TV licence fee is stuck very much in the last Century.

Nope, the BBC is a pioneer in online services, it has consistantly been at the forefront of technological innovation.

Edited by Magilla