Are SCC/Amey out of control?

OPINION- Personal view

Information- Facts

I did not ask yours or anyone`s opinion,I did ask for facts.

I asked how to challenge accountability.My other comments were in essence covering my perceived thoughts where accountability was possibly lacking.This was a generalisation and not fact

If you are intent on helping me,why not answer the questions that I asked.

If not ,thanks for ......

That's a very vague statement.

So, it was agreed when it was a labour controlled council?

Every councillor voted in favour?

Who actually signed off the disastrous terms of the contract that put in place 7 engineering solutions to be used where trees were damaging pavements and kerbing, but left the choice entirely up to the commercially driven private company with no recourse for the council to influence the decision at all?

What do you mean vague? It was a cross party agreement, signed by the political party leaders at the time.

Lib Dems were in control at the time the development of the PFI project was agreed and commenced.

The Council drew up the specification for the contract, with input from the other parties to it, ie the Government and Financial Institutions.

How do you know what the terms of the contract are? Have you seen it?

That is sort of the whole point of this discussion. The total lack of accountability. That will only come when the contract is made public. A judge might soon agree that it should be and then will we know if SCC / Amey are out of control.

What do you mean vague? It was a cross party agreement, signed by the political party leaders at the time.

Lib Dems were in control at the time the development of the PFI project was agreed and commenced.

The Council drew up the specification for the contract, with input from the other parties to it, ie the Government and Financial Institutions.

im pretty sure Julie dore and Brian lodge both said that even they , had not seen/read the full contract

That is sort of the whole point of this discussion. The total lack of accountability. That will only come when the contract is made public. A judge might soon agree that it should be and then will we know if SCC / Amey are out of control.

Do all other large public organisations disclose all contracts in their entirety?

Do you somehow expect the Council to have a public consultation and have a ballot every time they want to enter into a contract?

Your Councillors are accountable at the ballot box. All political parties in the Council agreed to go into this PFI.

---------- Post added 07-12-2017 at 08:30 ----------

im pretty sure Julie dore and Brian lodge both said that even they , had not seen/read the full contract

I doubt they would, it's enormous. You couldn't reasonably expect them to read and understand every page.

So, it was agreed when it was a labour controlled council?

Every councillor voted in favour?

Who actually signed off the disastrous terms of the contract?

The council have made statements about it and lots of it has now been released (although a lot more has been redacted).

They have however said that they have no recourse to force Amey to use or even consider the engineering solutions, it's entirely up to Amey what to do in each case. And the cheapest solution is obviously to cut down the tree, which is what they've decided in every case.

How do you not know this, it's in the national news.

---------- Post added 07-12-2017 at 08:48 ----------

If you are intent on helping me,why not answer the questions that I asked.

If not ,thanks for ......

Your questions are based on opinions and premises that are largely false.

I am helping you by pointing this out.

Guest makapaka

The council said the other day that there are 2million trees in sheffield.

They also said that there are 35,000 street trees, of which 5000 have been removed, all of which have been/are to be replaced.

Is this disputed by anyone?

The council said the other day that there are 2million trees in sheffield.

They also said that there are 35,000 street trees, of which 5000 have been removed, all of which have been/are to be replaced.

Is this disputed by anyone?

Wow, 5000 trees replaced with twigs so sad.

Its not just about the trees for me but the entire farce that surrounds this inept bunch (to many to mention) . What I don't understand is that year on year people complain about this council , and year on year they get voted in

Too true. A bunch of unaccountable muppets stumbling from **** up to **** up and never accepting responsibility. They lie to, mislead and when it suits better they just blank the public of Sheffield. Sounds like the latest farce is turning out to be the central library / Chinese investment situation.