Are SCC/Amey out of control?

I'm yet to see a street which has been denuded of trees in the way described in first bold sentence - Rustlings Road tree felling caused outrage but as a resident of Ecclesall and frequent user of Endcliffe Park for the past 30 years, I can't detect any impact on the overall feel of street.

Second bold - they've already had some enjoyment of mature trees - the alternative is to either deprive future generations of trees or pass the bill onto them. Too much of this selfishness in the world these days, certainly not limited to the issue of trees.

I think the before and after pictures of Humphrey Road contained in this article shows a pretty stark difference. None of the residents on this street were even consulted.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3439673/Chainsaw-massacre-Residents-fury-council-fells-3-000-trees-Sheffield-bid-save-money-fear-thousands-risk.html

Is the daily mail article accurate - 75% of the 35,000 to be removed?

The point I was making is that the reaction to the removal is disproportionate to the overall impact.

I quoted that article for the image of the before and after, demonstrating what Eccy Beach hadn't seen.

---------- Post added 07-12-2017 at 14:15 ----------

Well Cyclone we will have to differ regarding semantics.I listed details to challenge ,you say its opinion.Strewth..

You didn't list details.

You made incorrect assumptions about salary and pension, and then objected when people pointed out that you were wrong about them.

I did say also that at some point there is always someone who wishes to get personal.In this instance and you in particular I thinks has managed to prove my point.

This isn't personal at all.

The proof has to be, others seem to have supplied certain confirmations that you still refute .

Have they?

What for example?

I quoted that article for the image of the before and after, demonstrating what Eccy Beach hadn't seen.

---------- Post added 07-12-2017 at 14:15 ----------

You didn't list details.

You made incorrect assumptions about salary and pension, and then objected when people pointed out that you were wrong about them.

I did say also that at some point there is always someone who wishes to get personal.In this instance and you in particular I thinks has managed to prove my point.

Oh sorry I didn't realise you'd already posted a link to that same article. I too think it illustrates perfectly the denuding that some are suggesting isn't happening..

That’s sort of my point.

Added to that - of the 5000 trees being removed I would imagine that some of those have been removed without dispute. i.e.there was no viable alternative to keep it. I know a lot have been disputed but there will have been some that needed removing.

Therefore the percentage of trees which arguably could have been kept is even lower.

Yes, some needed removing, nobody is disputing that. MOST didn't need removing, most could easily have been saved USING SOLUTIONS WE HAVE ALREADY PAID AMEY FOR but they have not used because they make more money cutting them down. These solutions are in the contract, they cost us nothing.

We could and should have the trees and the new roads, it should not be an either / or situation. We are paying heavily for a contract with engineering solutions, this is what we gave Amey 2 billion quid for. So why has the council let them get away with it?

Edited by neeeeeeeeeek

So I have now had more first hand experience of Amey's incompetence. Yesterday while taking down a tree a bit further down our road, they managed to saw through my telephone cable, which passed through the branches of said tree on its way to the pole. Did they have the courtesy to put a note through the door to apologise? No, of course not. I just arrived home to find the cable chucked onto my front garden. So that left me with no phone line and no internet. BT say it will take up to 2 working days to repair, so that could mean I'm without both all weekend. Which severely impacts on my ability to do my job.

Presumably somebody must have protested yesterday because today Amey and their hired thugs were back at 6 o'clock to put up their barriers. By 6.15 they'd put cones across the road and a Road Closed sign there, despite the notices saying it would be closed from 7 o'clock. When I pointed this out the bloke stood next to it said, "No mate, the road wasn't closed at 6.15 because the sign was pushed to one side". So evidently cones and a Road Closed sign are not enough to tell you a road is closed.

When I mentioned the cut phone line they said, "Yeah, sorry for that, we reported it, they should be out to deal with it." Except if they do come out to deal with it, they won't be able to get there because the road's shut and they're still cutting down the same tree.

Needless to say I shall be putting in a formal complaint.