Ex Chaucer School pupils

Is anyone old enough to remember Mr Knight? The demon woodwork teacher who used to insist we stood around him in a three sides of a square as he demonstrated something to us.

He`d check that the square was perfect, and all the kids who were slightly out of line got a rap around the noggin with a lump of wood.

He caught me demonstrating to my mates how to make fire by rubbing a bit of dowelling on a flat piece of wood. My mates suddenly went all quiet and I looked around to see him standing there glaring at me, I thought I was going to die, but he took the dowelling off me and showed us how to make a bow so it would make the dowelling turn faster and make a spark.

He could be a nasty bugger but at times he showed he was a human and could have a laugh.

i remember old man knight,also remember his wife,she had us for maths last thing on a friday.she had a thing about slapping you round the back of the head.you must have either been in my year,or the year below,they retired round about 75.I left in 76.

i remember old man knight,also remember his wife,she had us for maths last thing on a friday.she had a thing about slapping you round the back of the head.you must have either been in my year,or the year below,they retired round about 75.I left in 76.

I "Officially" left in 77 but I rarely bothered going to school from the age of 14 or so, I preferred to wag it in town or in Greno woods or Wharncliffe side. I bloody hated school.

• 1 month later...