Ex Chaucer School pupils

Hi AKAMD,  Must have been in the same class for Tech Drawing and Art or were there multiple classes ? I know I did really well in Tech Drawing so much so that Cornthwaite made me sit a previous exam as they thought I was cheating! It all just seemed so easy at the time, I even remember doing ellipses in two different way as I had so much time to spare. Cornthwaite then went full circle from hardly noticing me even though I transferred into his class in the final year, think a couple of mates were there (Kevin Staniland?) then offered to get me a interview at a Tech Drawing Office at one of the steelworks, I was stubborn and told him not to bother. I went to work in Computing but in my twenties realized I needed further different qualifications and went to study at Stannington Collège  to get them. Ended up running my own consulting business so I suppose you  always find your own way eventually. Funnily enough although I never had a chance of going to Uni for various reasons, my three children all have degrees. Glad to hear that you got what you wanted in the end.

Hi Copperhead.  I think there were split classes in tech drawing as there were in all subjects; the maths and English were also graded and you went into your grade based on the results of exams/tests.  I remember I deliberately got a poor result in maths one year in an effort to get down to a class that one of my mates was in.  It didn't quite work as I finished up a grade below him; I was too good at being bad.  I hardly attended school in the final year, giving the truant officer the runaround.  They gave up on me and I gave up on them.  There were plenty of jobs around for school-leavers in those days and I started work at Arnold Wraggs Nuts & Bolts at Stannington but didn't stay long.  It was boring, monotonous work but I got day-release at Granville College where I got into their under 16 football team.  I don't recall Kevin Staniland but then I don't remember many names other than those I was with at junior school.  I haven't kept in touch with any of them but have bumped into a few over the years; one was working at Sheffield Hallam when I graduated in 1997.  My art and tech drawing talents came in handy when I did a Signwriting course at Shirecliffe College in 1986 following the closure of the BSC Tinsley Park Works where I had been since 1973.  The late eighties were another bad time but that's another story.  All the best!

• 9 months later...

enjoyed reading the thread went to chaucer 72-76 remember tony 'dougie' douglas,  john brown, roy dero, nev 'chew' hutchinson, mick turner, paul 'sparky' fletcher, eric mcoy and me bonnie.  Funny how we get older look back and suddenly we realise how school was a big part of our memories

I was there from the opening in 1958 to 1959, 1 year the first term in Miss Harts class and the last two terms in Mr. Newhams, I moved there from Parson Cross School scholars also came from Hillsborough, Hillfoot Bridge and Philedelpha schools, people I remember were Jack Selwood, Frank Weldon rip, Diana Truelove, Diana Tomlinson, Ann Self, David White, Jack Fowler, Keith Hackett, June Mellor, Beryl Savage, Peter Woodcock, Brian Patchet, Tony & Terry Hammond, Diane Smith, Anita Spencer, Beryl Ransom, Joan Hancock, Harold Thicket, plus many more.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I was at Chaucer from 59 to 63 & enjoyed the lot looking back. Most of the teachers were very good & experienced, yet Mr Newham was feared. Got the cane for fighting in the class though- learned that lesson !!

Played footy in final of Sheffield shield at Olive grove, sadly lost. Lots of fond memories & set me up on a long voyage of discovery, & challenges thanks to Chaucer School. Think it was Mr Swithenbank ( metalwork teacher ) who inspired my craft talent as a profession I’ve valued all my life as a proud Sheffield craftsman, & businessman. Anyone in those years willing to share, please do so. Dave

On 12/01/2022 at 01:14, David Mady said:

I was at Chaucer from 59 to 63 & enjoyed the lot looking back. Most of the teachers were very good & experienced, yet Mr Newham was feared. Got the cane for fighting in the class though- learned that lesson !!

Played footy in final of Sheffield shield at Olive grove, sadly lost. Lots of fond memories & set me up on a long voyage of discovery, & challenges thanks to Chaucer School. Think it was Mr Swithenbank ( metalwork teacher ) who inspired my craft talent as a profession I’ve valued all my life as a proud Sheffield craftsman, & businessman. Anyone in those years willing to share, please do so. Dave

hii Dave,i did not go to Chaucer ,but i remember pop Newham and Mr. Swithenbank from my days at Parkside rd.school ,i left in 57.pop Newham was a great teacher very strict as you say but also fair.Mr Swithenbank taught us woodwork which i always enjoyed and still do to this day ,as for football i played for the school team under Mr.Kettering did he go to Chaucer?he was another one that knew his sports happy days .David (tiny)Tingle

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I have been on this site some years ago but I couldn't get on again without registering.

Anyhow Hi everyone,

Just wondering if there are any folk on this site who attended Chaucer Secondary Modern.

I was there until December 1959 left at 15yr.  I remember a Mr Cool who was the

science teacher and a Miss Heart.

My maiden name was Jean Wood and I lived on North Street  and travelled by tram to 

get to school as I lived some miles away.

I loved cooking and sewing, not bad at maths and enjoyed school. 

I remember Margaret Leach,  Sandra Foulkston, Joyce Crossley.

Anyone  out there in this very different world to when we were at school

I would love to hear from them.