Ex Chaucer School pupils

Like withitowl I was also there from the opening and left at 15 yrs in 1959. Can't remember many names though, there was the science teacher a Mr Cool, I remember anyone messing around had the black board cleaner thrown at them, he was also handy with rulers.

Miss Hart was lovely, she once came in to Cole Bros at Barkers Pool where I worked years later and spoke to me about my days there. The only friends I remember are Margaret Leek, Joyce Crossley, Sandra and June Fallston and Barry Wivel who I understand died aged 21yrs.

It would be amazing to hear from anyone who was there in the early years.

I have to say I loved school right from starting at 5 to leaving, always regretted not having a good education though and had to go to night school to get qualifications.

I recall many years ago two of my neighbours went to Chaucer School.

Mick Hardcastle in the 60s
Kevin Hardcastle in the 70s.

They went by bus each day from Gleadless Townend.

Is Chaucer School named after Geoffrey Chaucer, who in 1392 wrote The Canterbury Tales? Geoff was possibly the first author to use the word...mott.

• 1 month later...
On 02/10/2022 at 18:47, Yorkshire Lass said:

Like withitowl I was also there from the opening and left at 15 yrs in 1959. Can't remember many names though, there was the science teacher a Mr Cool, I remember anyone messing around had the black board cleaner thrown at them, he was also handy with rulers.

Miss Hart was lovely, she once came in to Cole Bros at Barkers Pool where I worked years later and spoke to me about my days there. The only friends I remember are Margaret Leek, Joyce Crossley, Sandra and June Fallston and Barry Wivel who I understand died aged 21yrs.

It would be amazing to hear from anyone who was there in the early years.

I have to say I loved school right from starting at 5 to leaving, always regretted not having a good education though and had to go to night school to get qualifications.

Hello Jean, I do remember your name, I went from Easter 58 to Easter 59 I was in Miss Hart's class up to the 6 weeks holiday then Mr Newnham's till demob,  just a few names for you Anita Spencer, Beryl Ransome, Diane Tomlinson, June Mellor, Diane Smith, Dave White, Jack Fowler, Peter Woodcock, Frank Weldon, Keith Hacket, Jack Selwood.