Time For a Second Channel Tunnel

What about from Aberdeen to Norway? :hihi:

Peterhead to Bergen is over 500km, a ferry takes about 36 hours. But not that much freight comes in from Norway so a link there probably wouldn't provide much economic benefit.

---------- Post added 08-12-2017 at 13:56 ----------

The a14 is a slow moving queue at the best of times. Unless you're going to turn the a14 into at least a 4 lane motorway, ideally from the m6. The a12 could do with an upgrade too . Pointless doing anything in felixstowe unless you sort out that bottleneck first .

Well the varsity rail line is being reopened, and could be upgraded to take a substantial amount of freight into the interior of the UK. Rail links already supply the port at Harwich. The A14 is already being upgraded but of course linking infrastructure would be needed. The port of Dover isn't there because it's at the end of the M20.

---------- Post added 08-12-2017 at 13:59 ----------

What about something that travels over the water, perhaps it can float on it and take a large amount of cargo? No that's a ridiculous idea.

I've seen and even been on a vehicle similar to that. I'm not convinced it'll catch on. In all seriousness though, the sailing between Harwich and Hook of Holland is the best part of 5 hours. Ferry operators are pulling services because they are not economic. Dover-Calais has gone from 3 operators to one.

---------- Post added 08-12-2017 at 14:02 ----------

What about one of Elon Musk's Hyperloop systems?

People have made suggestions that maintenance costs would be seriously reduced by replacing electric trains with maglev. As I understand it, Elon Musk's suggestion is basically maglev in a vacuum.

The a14 is a slow moving queue at the best of times. Unless you're going to turn the a14 into at least a 4 lane motorway, ideally from the m6. The a12 could do with an upgrade too . Pointless doing anything in felixstowe unless you sort out that bottleneck first .

They are doing stuff to the a14 now but it's going to take until 2020 at earliest before its done and admittingly its only a short section they seem to be doing

Peterhead to Bergen is over 500km, a ferry takes about 36 hours. But not that much freight comes in from Norway so a link there probably wouldn't provide much economic benefit.

---------- Post added 08-12-2017 at 13:56 ----------

Well the varsity rail line is being reopened, and could be upgraded to take a substantial amount of freight into the interior of the UK. Rail links already supply the port at Harwich. The A14 is already being upgraded but of course linking infrastructure would be needed. The port of Dover isn't there because it's at the end of the M20.

---------- Post added 08-12-2017 at 13:59 ----------

I've seen and even been on a vehicle similar to that. I'm not convinced it'll catch on. In all seriousness though, the sailing between Harwich and Hook of Holland is the best part of 5 hours. Ferry operators are pulling services because they are not economic. Dover-Calais has gone from 3 operators to one.

---------- Post added 08-12-2017 at 14:02 ----------

People have made suggestions that maintenance costs would be seriously reduced by replacing electric trains with maglev. As I understand it, Elon Musk's suggestion is basically maglev in a vacuum.

Get James Dyson on it.

This is an example of what could be an interesting thread, yet as usual some of the comments just aren't relevant or useful.

Tell me folks why in the 21st century there is so much to entertain oneself with, that people have to waste time on this Forum with some of the irritating responses we get ?