Council tree felling...

Guest makapaka
I would have thought it was obvious to anyone with a modicum of intelligence.

To paraphrase & slightly misquote the 'great'; 'Don’t patronise me for not agreeing with you.'

Post 486.

Maybe I will agree with you once you explain how its obvious that the areas of green space are reducing.

So - why are we surely sliding down the rankings?

That is not a map of Sheffield's green space. It stops a few km short in the west. It might be a map of the green spaces in the urban area, but that's not the claim.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/gallery/2017/jan/05/green-space-uk-largest-cities-mapped#img-5

Yes - I think those maps are a meaningless comparison - some cities it just shows the contiguous urban area (eg Sheffield) whilst others obviously are to the city boundaries (eg Edinburgh, London, Bristol) so include green belt and similar.

Here's the latest now.

https://www.thestar.co.uk/news/no-date-set-for-when-tree-felling-works-across-sheffield-will-continue-1-8996836

I wonder how this fits in with Coun. Bryan Lodge's statements that if the tree felling wasn't completed by the end of 2017, SCC, (you & me the council tax payers), would be hit with financial penalties?

It still doesn't explain why some areas haven't had their scheduled work carried out in previous months?

Felling the very trees that needed it would never have led to protests though. That sort of thing has happened in the past, with no complications.

It SHOULD be up to us in Sheffield to decide- but things were done under a veil of secrecy, and the people of Sheffield had no choice or say in the matter whatsoever.

Given that - I welcome all the national news outlets - guardian, daily mail, times, telegraph, BBC, and other sources that have raised the profile of this. It's something that should be highlighted- and thank goodness we at least live in a society where dodgy practices are often brought to the attention of the wider public.

The downside of course is that it's further tainted Sheffield's reputation in the wider public eye - after all, one of it's badges of honour was "greenest city" - now anyone that follows news simply laughs at that claim.

Couldn't agree more, a vote on the issue would resolve it once and for all.

I've lived in Sheffield 35 of my 38 years on this planet, since Amey started this round of tree felling I can't say I've gone down any road/park and though "god where have all the trees gone" that's just my opinion I guess.

If we're a laughing stock it's down to media, possibly courted by some in Sheffield, to use terms like cull, devastation, massacre etc. If any of the journo's got off there at$es and came up to Sheffield I suspect some would wonder what fuss was about.

The above doesn't mean I can't see what a grand balls-up SCC and Amey have made of it all.

Couldn't agree more, a vote on the issue would resolve it once and for all.

I've lived in Sheffield 35 of my 38 years on this planet, since Amey started this round of tree felling I can't say I've gone down any road/park and though "god where have all the trees gone" that's just my opinion I guess.

If we're a laughing stock it's down to media, possibly courted by some in Sheffield, to use terms like cull, devastation, massacre etc. If any of the journo's got off there at$es and came up to Sheffield I suspect some would wonder what fuss was about.

The above doesn't mean I can't see what a grand balls-up SCC and Amey have made of it all.

Yes - from reading articles in the press you'd think that the trees growing in pavements and roadside verges are the only trees in Sheffield when in fact they're only a tiny proportion of trees in the city - and even nothing like the majority of trees in close proximity to roads.

Their vans used to have "Making Sheffield Greener" emblazoned on them, recently I've noticed they say "Making Sheffield Brighter" - probably due to the lack of tree cover.

The Amey fleet have a few variations on 'Making Sheffield' on them; 'Greener' and 'Brighter' are two of them, 'Safer' is another. Let's not let facts get in the way of a good owd council slagging thread tho'.

The Amey fleet have a few variations on 'Making Sheffield' on them; 'Greener' and 'Brighter' are two of them, 'Safer' is another. Let's not let facts get in the way of a good owd council slagging thread tho'.

All of those claims are absolute <removed> of course though. 'Safer' being perhaps the most amusing of the selection.

Edited by Groose
masked swearing

Another local Labour group has declared its opposition to the contract, the second to split- Two weeks ago, Gleadless Valley Labour Party passed an emergency resolution by a 30-0 vote calling for an immediate mediated settlement of the trees dispute.

Here's Sheffield Momentums official statement.

OFFICIAL MOMENTUM STATEMENT ON PFIs JANUARY 31 2018 – ISSUED TO NO STUMP CITY

Sheffield Momentum does not support the Private Finance Initiative (PFI) in Sheffield, which has resulted in confrontation in the removal of trees and the failure to meet timescales for road improvements and has resulted in the erosion of local democratic control. All work carried out in the name of Sheffield City Council should be carried out by council workers. Sheffield Momentum believes that if this work was being carried out in-house there would have been changes to how the work was managed and delivered. The reality is that Amey plc failed on road improvement and has tarnished this city’s image as a green city. Momentum supports the Labour Party Manifesto from the 2017 General Election in the opposition to PFIs and ask our Labour Group on Sheffield City Council to do the same, we also ask that the Labour Group seeks to provide a non-confrontational negotiated way of working with concerned residents and Amey plc.

https://www.change.org/p/12097432/u/22325016?utm_medium=email&utm_source=petition_update&utm_campaign=242464&sfmc_tk=gy7fzUBgEyYXH1J3nTUehqipQ%2beOIfAy0vzwJZGa%2b78p7OQHD5qQipyd8cZnMz3F&j=242464&sfmc_sub=162272368&l=32_HTML&u=44241573&mid=7259882&jb=5

Yes - from reading articles in the press you'd think that the trees growing in pavements and roadside verges are the only trees in Sheffield when in fact they're only a tiny proportion of trees in the city - and even nothing like the majority of trees in close proximity to roads.

People, some people anyway, want trees close to them. I'm quite lucky to live on a fairly leafy street; I'd be gutted if they were chopped down.