Council tree felling...

Guest makapaka
Dave, It's easy to judge without being in possession of all the facts; I too am in a similar position, since I wasn't there.

Initially, it certainly seemed that what you say is a reasonable interpretation of the video clip, one which I came to myself to be fair to you, until I read the following post on Facebook; I've no idea of it's authenticity, but given the poster, I'm inclined to believe him.

"The goons ( sic. = Security staff )were actually assisting the lady at her request as she was feeling weak. However they did it in such a clumsy way that it appeared to Benoit and others that she was being manhandled so he went to her aid. They turned on him and in the process knocked her over. They seem to lose all interest in her welfare once they went for him."

It would seem that this chap (Benoit) was the one arrested (for assault ??), for doing what he probably believed was helping an older person being hurt/assaulted.

It also seems like the person doing the video came to the same initial conclusion as both you and me, quite understandable having re-viewed it a couple of times.

The police were there. They didnt arrest anyone for assaulting an old lady - just one of the protestors.

It seems quite clear in that video that the security did not assault the lady, they were walking her out of the fenced area when the other bloke rushed in. In the process of security then grabbing hold of the bloke, the lady was accidentally knocked over. It seems to have happened when the security turned around, with the lady caught in-between them.

Edited by WarPig

Initially, it certainly seemed that what you say is a reasonable interpretation of the video clip, one which I came to myself to be fair to you, until I read the following post on Facebook; I've no idea of it's authenticity, but given the poster, I'm inclined to believe him.

"The goons ( sic. = Security staff )were actually assisting the lady at her request as she was feeling weak. However they did it in such a clumsy way that it appeared to Benoit and others that she was being manhandled so he went to her aid. They turned on him and in the process knocked her over. They seem to lose all interest in her welfare once they went for him."

Can you link to the facebook post please?

---------- Post added 06-03-2018 at 13:37 ----------

It seems quite clear in that video that the security did not assault the lady, they were walking her out of the fenced area when the other bloke rushed in. In the process of security then grabbing hold of the bloke, the lady was accidentally knocked over. It seems to have happened when the security turned around, with the lady caught in-between them.

Not walking her- they were dragging her. Look at the video at 3 seconds in where she trips over the curb, and they continue to drag her for several feet while her feet are off the ground. This happens before the male protester comes to her assistance.

Guest makapaka

Not walking her- they were dragging her. Look at the video at 3 seconds in where she trips over the curb, and they continue to drag her for several feet while her feet are off the ground. This happens before the male protester comes to her assistance.

She fell because of the other protestor - I assume the one that got arrested.

That will be the reason no one was arrested for assault from amey.

Seems not everyone would agree with you- SYP police's actions are being called into question.....

All the questions posed are ones that seriously need to be answered.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/exclusive-sheffield-councillor-lord-scriven-demands-answers-over-south-yorkshire-police-s-handling-of-tree-protests-1-9049756

Edited by paula4sheff

Dave, PM sent, maybe you can work out how to link to the actual post, but at least you can verify it for me. :)

Also being discussed further down the same Facebook thread.

Looks like poor communications and a genuine misunderstanding, on the arrestees behalf, to me; I wasn't there, nor do I personally know anyone who was.

---------- Post added 06-03-2018 at 14:27 ----------

As you say Dave, that's what it looked like to at least some of the people on the scene.

From another poster later on the same thread;

"When I saw it, I thought she was being dragged and Benoit was defending her. But I went to the hospital with her, and learned that her legs had given out and SIA were assisting her-- thought (sic) quite badly, since they knocked her down again in their effort to get to Benoit.

......................................................................................................

It is her account. She has various illnesses and her muscles can give way quickly."

Guest makapaka
Seems not everyone would agree with you- SYP police's actions are being called into question.....

All the questions posed are ones that seriously need to be answered.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/exclusive-sheffield-councillor-lord-scriven-demands-answers-over-south-yorkshire-police-s-handling-of-tree-protests-1-9049756

Looks like an attempt at undermining the police and council to me.

Are people really suggesting our police force are complicit in this? It’s pathetic - as are the attempts to try and turn this into another big strong bouncers beat up little old ladies story.

Are people really suggesting our police force are complicit in this? It’s pathetic - as are the attempts to try and turn this into another big strong bouncers beat up little old ladies story.

They are questions that need answering, 33 cops and 20 private security guards :loopy:

More details here-

https://medium.com/@jennifersaul/nicola-needed-to-get-to-hospital-tree-felling-barriers-blocked-the-way-573f95e17b27

Nicola needed to get to hospital. Tree felling barriers blocked the way.

This is Nicola. She is 65 years old and suffers from MS, as well as a movement disorder which makes her visibly disabled. While attempting to defend trees yesterday, she fell ill and was unable to walk. There were over 60 security operatives and police, who had taken over the street, turning it into a quasi-militarised zone.

Protestors were being dragged away from trees.

Nicola became worried about her presence near a tree, and confused by the conflicting claims that police and security were making to her. She asked two security operatives to help her out of the tree felling zone. They did, but then knocked her over in their zeal to get to another protestor, giving no thought to her medical condition. This video shows the events clearly.

After having been knocked over by security guards, her condition worsened substantially, as she began to have heart palpitations and was unable to move. Although there were around 30 police officers on the scene, it was fellow protestors with first aid training who were monitoring Nicola’s vital signs and checking her condition. The barrier men refused to remove the barrier that was on top of her legs, though the police eventually persuaded them to do this. The police realised she needed to get to a hospital, but could not get her there. There were no ambulances available, and the barriers filling the streets meant that the police vans could not get through. Moreover, the police had no stretchers, although they had authorised the use of force on protestors. So Nicola lay on the cold wet ground as they tried to find a way to get her out. After a very long delay, the barrier men finally moved the barriers, and eventually (the barriers are slow to move) the police were able to carry Nicola to a police van and get her to a hospital.

The police and council have done at excellent job of undermining themselves, they don't need more help :)

No suggestion required, many videos clearly show 30+ police present every day of the tree culling.

& the video clearly shows big bouncers dragging an elderly lady around, then dropping her.

Edited by onewheeldave

Guest makapaka
They are questions that need answering, 33 cops and 20 private security guards :loopy:

Well - you know how there could be zero don’t you?

---------- Post added 06-03-2018 at 21:42 ----------

More details here-

https://medium.com/@jennifersaul/nicola-needed-to-get-to-hospital-tree-felling-barriers-blocked-the-way-573f95e17b27

The police and council have done at excellent job of undermining themselves, they don't need more help :)

No suggestion required, many videos clearly show 30+ police present every day of the tree culling.

& the video clearly shows big bouncers dragging an elderly lady around, then dropping her.

Whos fault is it that the police are having their already stretched resources stretched further day in day out?

No - the videos don’t show that. Which you know. It suits to suggest so though.