Council tree felling...

25 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Yes after typing that i went and looked and 4 metropolitan areas are on that basis. Most are the one third model, though.

Rotherham also switched in 2021, I think most will go that way soon as elections take up so much time and money.... it costs virtually as much to do each one in thirds as all out. 

Edited by sadbrewer

8 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

I wonder what makes you think that you know more about democracy than anyone else?

To the best of my knowledge, no other advanced nation has a voting system like ours and it's been admitted for years, by the main parties that it is NOT DEMOCRATIC.

As for forcing the people to vote,  many countries do,  Australia being one of them and the people don't seem to be put out by this.

It sounds to me that, you not only don't believe in democracy but you want the freedom to refuse it too.

The longer you carry on  forcing people to do what the MINORITY want, the more you will have trouble and lawlessness building up so you will have to learn to live with dissent.

So, it is not my dislike you need to worry about but the majorities dislike.  YOU BEING THE MINORITY.

I think that you have just proved my point by saying other countries force you to go to vote, but, the voter has a choice, when they are in the voting booth to not put a mark on the form. That is their, democratic right. I suggest that  you look at the compulsory voting rules of Australia.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kidorry said:

I think that you have just proved my point by saying other countries force you to go to vote, but, the voter has a choice, when they are in the voting booth to not put a mark on the form. That is their, democratic right. I suggest that  you look at the compulsory voting rules of Australia.

I know that and, I suppose that's the only thing they can do to prove their point but that in itself shows that politics needs cleaning up and more heed paid to public wishes.

I have been around a long long time and have never known a time when politicians go deliberately against the public without even aa good reason,  as with the trees.

They used to worry what the public would think and would never have been as defiant as that in the old days.

That's almost begging for civil disobedience to kick off.

I too have been around for 85 years and if you are trying to convince me that politicians have never tried to deceive the public without a good reason( in your opinion). When was the last time our government asked the public if they wanted to go to war?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Kidorry said:

I too have been around for 85 years and if you are trying to convince me that politicians have never tried to deceive the public without a good reason( in your opinion). When was the last time our government asked the public if they wanted to go to war?

Exactly,  we should not have gone to wat over the Falklands, Iraq or Afghanistan.  We should not go to war at all unless we, or an ally, are attacked.

Why don't we put a stop to it and why don't we do more protesting over everything we think is wrong.

Who cares if the Tory government and the right wing media doesn't like it.

• 1 month later...

Watching Look North tonight, they featured a report on an extraordinary SCC meeting, called to discuss the recent report on the tree felling. 

Many of the Labour councillors failed to turn up, including the main ones that many blame for the fiasco  & who were high profile & vocal at the height of the felling, such as Couns. Terry Fox & Bryan Lodge, thereby dodging those in the public gallery who were seeking answers. 

An apology was issued by the current Mayor, who said it was a "A dark period for Sheffield." 

After the meeting had concluded, the BBC tried to obtain interviews with the Mayor; our CEO, Kate Josephs or any Labour councillors.  All refused to participate.