Council tree felling...

Indeed, that's presumably why the Crown Prosecution Service dropped all charges in that case.

Lol, there is no way the tree huggers are going to be convinced is there?

---------- Post added 26-03-2018 at 00:45 ----------

Indeed, that's presumably why the Crown Prosecution Service dropped all charges in that case.

Ok maybe prevent a further breach of the peace, and if you think that vehicle is parked I suggest a visit to specsavers.

Good night xx

Edited by monkey104

I don’t think that sitting in front of a parked vehicle can be construed as obstructing the highway. To commit that offence, you have to prevent free movement along the highway.

Yes the offence is established in practice as preventing passage along the highway.

The prosecution will struggle to prove that one, given that the person in question was sitting in front of a fence that had been erected right across the highway.

Previous arrests in the tree dispute for obstructing the highway have seen charges dropped before the case reached court.

The arrest of a lady for blowing a plastic trumpet shows how desperate the police are to make their presence appear worthwhile.

2PM Mon:

Sheffield City Council calls temporary halt to tree work

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-43544416

The Guardian are carrying it as well;

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/mar/26/sheffield-council-pauses-tree-felling-scheme-after-criticism

although they do (and have done the last couple of times they've reported it) carry the highly erroneous "fact" that the council are cutting down half the trees in the city rather than at most half the trees growing in pavements and roadside verges - which represent less than 1% of the trees in the city - and even nowhere near the majority within a few yards of the streets.

Edited by Longcol

Corbyn and 3 Sheffield MPs have come out against the felling

Genuine question, where has Corbyn come out against it?

The only thing I've found is this quote from the Yorkshire Post

'The Yorkshire Post understands Mr Corbyn supports his shadow Environment Secretary Sue Hayman’s recent call for the work to be put on hold'

But in the same article it says he's yet to publicly comment on the subject.

As a floating voter passionate about the issue, but with no love for the Tories I'd be very interested on looking at a source for ANY public comment Corbyn has on the subject.

I think it’s quite clear that penistone999 is one of those people who just hate the police regardless, and probably hates any kind of authority. He’s views aren’t balanced and he clearly is unable to demonstrate any level of tolerance. He hates every police officer, even the ones he hasn’t met!!!!

He goes on about the police being thugs, assaulting people and only wanting to protect the business interests of Amey, which is plain ridiculous. The police have to allow people to go about their lawful work, and whilst the tree felling might be unpopular to some, it is certainly lawful, hence why the police are there. If protesters get in the safety zone preventing the lawful work being carried out then the police have to take action. It’s what we (some) pay their taxes for. To arrest someone then they obviously have to get hands on, but this doesn’t mean it’s an assault.

I’m glad we don’t all live in his/her world.

Its all there for anyone to see in the various videos of the protests.

Whats your view on the lady being arrested for blowing a toy trumpet ?

---------- Post added 26-03-2018 at 16:26 ----------

Yes the offence is established in practice as preventing passage along the highway.

The prosecution will struggle to prove that one, given that the person in question was sitting in front of a fence that had been erected right across the highway.

Previous arrests in the tree dispute for obstructing the highway have seen charges dropped before the case reached court.

The arrest of a lady for blowing a plastic trumpet shows how desperate the police are to make their presence appear worthwhile.

This makes it perfectly clear the police are employing a policy of arrest anypne they can for anything they can to stop them protesting .

Okay I'm late to the party here.

Can I just ask, why are people so bothered about the trees being cut down?

Couldn't you just think about it for a minute and figure it out?

http://www.walkable.org/download/22_benefits.pdf

---------- Post added 26-03-2018 at 16:31 ----------

Lol, there is no way the tree huggers are going to be convinced is there?

Seems unlikely if the CPS aren't convinced that anyone else will be. :roll:

Meh. I think Sheffield has more than enough trees and such. Don't see a huge issue with it at the moment.

Strange, as I see it so far, all these protests have been in affluent areas of Sheffield.

Would there be the same reaction if the trees were being felled in less well-off areas I wonder..........