Council tree felling...

Would you class the Sheffield Star as right wing ?

interesting question.

I certainly wouldn't call them left wing.

I'd call them a bunch of opportunistic capitalists who'll say anything to make a quick buck.

So I'd say they have more in common with right-wingers.

I'm sorry to say I disagree with all of this.

I suspect the only reason the mainstream media covered the tree felling was less about the effectiveness of a bunch of whining, self-serving nimbies and more to do with a right-wing media that couldn't resist the urge to bash Sheffield and bash a Labour council. Again.

I'm not saying the city council are blameless, but really: why else would the right-wing hatemongers of the Daily Mail and Telegraph cover this story ?

We have occasional protests outside the Town Hall and on Fargate.

Did the mainstream media cover them too ??

The right wing press will always have their own agenda but I was talking about the people involved in the protest - they are likely to be radicalised to some extent having experienced the force of the State being used against them. I wasn't talking about people reading about it in the Daily Mail.

Also, what makes you think Sheffield City Councillors are left wing? They are pro-privatisation, anti-protest, dutifully pass on central government cuts without much complaint, many of them are private landlords, Bryan Lodge owns a sandwich shop - they're not exactly at the vanguard of the worker's revolution are they?

Edited by Bob Arctor

Guest makapaka
The right wing press will always have their own agenda but I was talking about the people involved in the protest - they are likely to be radicalised to some extent having experienced the force of the State being used against them. I wasn't talking about people reading about it in the Daily Mail.

Also, what makes you think Sheffield City Councillors are left wing? They are pro-privatisation, anti-protest, dutifully pass on central government cuts without much complaint, many of them are private landlords, Bryan Lodge owns a sandwich shop - they're not exactly at the vanguard of the worker's revolution are they?

Radicalised - really. I don’t think so.

Scc pro-privatisation and dutifully passing on government cuts.....that’s rich given we’re under Tory rule which has sold everything we had and took us out of Europe with nothing in the way of meaningful assets capable of delivering anything for the benefit of our society.

It’s pathetic blaming labour for this - the Lib Dem’s set up the scheme whilst in government with the tories - however you feel about labour councils management of it you can’t start blaming the labour movement for the failures of government.

Dutiful acceptance of government cuts - were you expecting the sandwich shop owner to tackle Theresa may.

Give me a break.

Give over , Gove may be many things but this inept council is to blame for kow towing to amey .

well actually they are kow towiing to the government remember the old dsays when sheffield forum was full threads about chinese lanterns and complaints about the state of the paths and the highways and eveyone said the council ( labour or liberal) should do something well they did and were forced into a PFI contract set up by the liberals and carried on by Labour heres a good piece about how this could be avoided if the Gove-ernment gave up some cash.

to stop the 1% of trees affected

http://www.thenorthernurbanist.co.uk/sheffield-councils-tree-felling-debacle-tells-us-problems-facing-local-government-uk/

---------- Post added 28-03-2018 at 00:57 ----------

they're not though see attached link

christ a sandwich shop the manifestation of the capitalism he must be rolling in cash from all those buttys you can be left wing and be a business owner you are starting to sound like Trot now its beneath you

Would you class the Sheffield Star as right wing ? Its also been covered in the New York Times

And the Guardian, the Independent and the BBC.

And the protesters can't win, they're nimbbies if they protest about the street trees on their own roads, and they're professional protesters if they protest about trees anywhere else. :roll:

1) People won't forget, #voteLabourOUT

Sadly they'll look at the alternatives:

Lib Dem = OK, but we still need to punish them for Nick Clegg's coalition

Tories = no chance, still not forgiven Thatcher

and remember that they're dyed in the wool, stuck in the past Sheffielders who will vote for Labour because their parents did, and so on. :(

No chance for the tories as you say, and given what they're doing nationally I'd rather poke myself in the eye than vote for them.

There's the green party as well, but I'll vote tactically with the exception of the tories, whoever has a chance of ousting labour in my ward gets my vote.

No chance for the tories as you say, and given what they're doing nationally I'd rather poke myself in the eye than vote for them.

There's the green party as well, but I'll vote tactically with the exception of the tories, whoever has a chance of ousting labour in my ward gets my vote.

Same. I'll never vote Labour at a council level again. Time for change.

well actually they are kow towiing to the government remember the old dsays when sheffield forum was full threads about chinese lanterns and complaints about the state of the paths and the highways and eveyone said the council ( labour or liberal) should do something well they did and were forced into a PFI contract set up by the liberals and carried on by Labour heres a good piece about how this could be avoided if the Gove-ernment gave up some cash.

http://www.thenorthernurbanist.co.uk/sheffield-councils-tree-felling-debacle-tells-us-problems-facing-local-government-uk/

An interesting piece, Narden Dee. Well worth reading in its entirety, whatever side of the exclusion barrier you sit on.

Guest makapaka
An interesting piece, Narden Dee. Well worth reading in its entirety, whatever side of the exclusion barrier you sit on.

Absolutely - great post Narden Dee.