Council tree felling...

Sadly they'll look at the alternatives:

Lib Dem = OK, but we still need to punish them for Nick Clegg's coalition

Tories = no chance, still not forgiven Thatcher

and remember that they're dyed in the wool, stuck in the past Sheffielders who will vote for Labour because their parents did, and so on. :(

Greens were running closest in many seats last time round, so that solves the above questions in many cases. Normally I would not vote green, but I will be this time solely to punish labour on this issue. I hope many others do so too.

Guest makapaka
Greens were running closest in many seats last time round, so that solves the above questions in many cases. Normally I would not vote green, but I will be this time solely to punish labour on this issue. I hope many others do so too.

Did you read the link posted by narden dee?

Normally I would not vote green, but I will be this time solely to punish labour on this issue. I hope many others do so too.

Punish labour on this issue? It's not an issue instigated by labour.

http://www.thenorthernurbanist.co.uk/sheffield-councils-tree-felling-debacle-tells-us-problems-facing-local-government-uk/

It would appear that many SF members are getting the council they deserve.

http://www.thenorthernurbanist.co.uk/sheffield-councils-tree-felling-debacle-tells-us-problems-facing-local-government-uk/

Maybe not - but they've hardly handled themselves well have they? It's so bad that local Labour MPs are lining up to distance themselves from the council. That makes for a seriously disjointed and chaotic stance to politics.

Labour MPs openly condemning a Labour controlled council is a right mess.

Sheffield Trades Union Council condemn Sheffield City Council and Amey plc Tree Killings- https://www.change.org/p/12097432/u/22566088?utm_medium=email&utm_source=petition_update&utm_campaign=291431&sfmc_tk=gy7fzUBgEyYXH1J3nTUehq3lMWWYiTAsacP5o4%2fKHBURSpHD4h6omvBpl5fo%2bP%2bf&j=291431&sfmc_sub=162272368&l=32_HTML&u=52663069&mid=7259882&jb=6

......Last night, the Sheffield TUC realised they have been lied to by Julie Dore and her pals. “It’s been the police brutality on our streets” that persuaded me, said council president Bob Jeffery during a debate over a tough motion against the tree felling massacre of more than 5,500 street trees by Amey and SCC that was paused on Monday.

“An absolute disgrace from a Labour Council”. “This PFI deal is rotten to the core”. “The biggest casualty is democracy”. “There are bunch of out-of-town thugs roaming our streets”. “Our city is a national joke.” “I totally agree with what it says in this flyer: ‘having plenty of healthy large canopy trees in our city is a good thing’; trees are very helpful in controlling asthma.” “It is simply unbelievable what is happening on my street.” (Two delegates live on Meersbrook Park Road.) These were just some of the comments from delegates at last night’s Sheff TUC meeting.

Needless to say, that motion passed unanimously.

I just read that article, good article, but it doesn't mention who was in power when the contract was signed.

I just read that article, good article, but it doesn't mention who was in power when the contract was signed.

its irrelevant to what the piece is about the main crux is that councils all over UK are being forced to enter into contracts by the government in order to make sure their streets are safe for users because the government wont give them any money to correctly deal with the issue.

its irrelevant to what the piece is about the main crux is that councils all over UK are being forced to enter into contracts by the government in order to make sure their streets are safe for users because the government wont give them any money to correctly deal with the issue.

I agree that the whole PFI issue is driven by central gov't and councils have been put in a very difficult position - I suspect what many posters on here would argue though is SCC has made the worst of a bad situation, whereas other councils have not made PFIs the PR clusterf*ck SCC has.

Its irrelevant who was in power at the time it was signed. Central and local government are two different beasts. Its whats happening now that matters.