Council tree felling...

I think Labour is likely to maintain or increase their vote in Sheffield in May. The tree problems will have a negligible impact because most people aren't affected and don't care either way about the leafy suburbs. This is almost entirely a Nether Edge white middle class issue. Ordinary People care more about prices in the shops, jobs and housing than they do about half dozen over sized trees which is what this now boils down to.

Actually the thing that keeps Labour in power for the most part is the low turnout and the "red rosette on a donkey" phenomenon, rather than the idea that somehow voting Labour locally will reduce the prices in the shops. (as if!)

Also - it is possible for most people to care equally about more than one thing at a time.

Also, the protest is actually about the remaining 11,500 mature street trees scheduled for felling.

Also, the protest is demonstrably multi-ethnic and cross-class.

Also - most people who choose to live in leafy suburbs do so partly because they are leafy - and care a lot.

But apart from that I think you got it about right. Well done.

That's certainly the feeling on the Sheffield Online Facebook page. There's very little support for the protesters, and those that do try and present any view come in for abuse.

Which is why I'm pleased and optimistic to see so much support on here.

And exactly the same would happen if any of them went on the STAG FB page and presented the opposite view.

That's certainly the feeling on the Sheffield Online Facebook page. There's very little support for the protesters, and those that do try and present any view come in for abuse.

Sheffield Online is the spiritual hovel of rejects from Sheffield Chat.

Facebook with it's targeted news means it's difficult for those that use it to debate and discuss anything. All they get is news aimed at reinforcing their view. Here I feel people actually discuss things, and it's possible for people to bring (and read) different viewpoints.

The problem is of course, is how many use Facebook, and don't recognize all this......they probably even aren't aware of Facebook currently being dragged over the coals for these issues.

EDIT: Just had a brief look, and it seems broadly similar to here, in terms of views to me. Only had a quick look through mind.

Of course, there's the odd intellectual giant, expounding wisdom such as:

"Amazing how ppl of UK will protest and cause more uproar about trees thn wen ther girls are getting raped by grooming gangs and it get covered up"

but you might as well listen to a carpet as pay any heed to that sort of nonsense!

Edited by paula4sheff

And exactly the same would happen if any of them went on the STAG FB page and presented the opposite view.

No they wouldn't get abuse from people on the STAG FB page- the people on that page have an abundance of rational and evidence based arguments to support their stance, which is far more effective than abuse.

The instigation of the Great Sheffield Tree Debacle is one thing - the mendacity and dissembling from the current council is entirely another. The instigation of this cannot be changed or undone, but the current council and its cast of liars can be changed, and can be undone.

Give me the serenity etc.

http://www.thenorthernurbanist.co.uk/sheffield-councils-tree-felling-debacle-tells-us-problems-facing-local-government-uk/

Quite so. That's an article that addresses some of the issues facing a council that has signed a PFI deal without fully understanding the consequences of it.

It doesn't address how a council that "clearly doesn’t have the money to pay for something [an expert-driven assessment of how urban trees should be managed] this involved and complex" can still have hundreds of thousands of pounds to fritter away on a useless PR exercise (the independent tree panel), and hundreds of thousands of pounds more for an attempt to jail one of its own councillors (and others) using a £15,000 a day QC.

The arrogance and incompetence of this council is breathtaking and anyone voting Labour in the forthcoming elections is asking for more of the same. I say that as a lifetime left-winger.

Edited by c00kie
Missed link

Guest makapaka
I think Labour is likely to maintain or increase their vote in Sheffield in May. The tree problems will have a negligible impact because most people aren't affected and don't care either way about the leafy suburbs. This is almost entirely a Nether Edge white middle class issue. Ordinary People care more about prices in the shops, jobs and housing than they do about half dozen over sized trees which is what this now boils down to.

Let's hope so.