Council tree felling...

3 minutes ago, HumbleNarrator said:

Just because Sheffield isn't unique in this doesn't  make it desirable.

We should be able to completely turf out a party that runs a council in one decisive election.

But who/what do you replace them with? In Sheffield, in fact most of SY, it would just be clones of the previous administration.

On 26/03/2023 at 17:05, Jeffrey Shaw said:

True. All-out local elections arise only when the ward boundaries are substantially altered.

I don’t think this is right. I believe (may be wrong) the council could vote to go to all out elections rather than a third per year. It’s a change of system that I think is for local councils to determine 

Edited by Fredderick
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Fredderick said:

I don’t think this is right. I believe (may be wrong) the council could vote to go to all out elections rather than a third per year. It’s a change of system that I think is for local councils to determine 

So the councils are supposed to police themselves and change a system that's been designed by them to suit themselves?

Really?

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

So the councils are supposed to police themselves and change a system that's been designed by them to suit themselves?

Really?

Well,   you've got to admit, that's the way politicians usually work and it's kept them in clover for years.

The government, the police and the army also use the same  "independent " system and found it works a treat for them

21 hours ago, Anna B said:

Really?

This isn’t about policing themselves. This is about a system of elections; either “three thirds” (a third up for election each year and then a fallow year) or all out elections every 4 years. They all serve the same length of time, get paid the same etc, it’s just how often there are elections. There are pros and cons to each system 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fredderick said:

This isn’t about policing themselves. This is about a system of elections; either “three thirds” (a third up for election each year and then a fallow year) or all out elections every 4 years. They all serve the same length of time, get paid the same etc, it’s just how often there are elections. There are pros and cons to each system 

I believe that what people are really saying is,  It isn't a good system and we should have a say in it all too.

Rather than the politicians concocting a system which suits them, and only then, do the public get a say.

19 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

I believe that what people are really saying is,  It isn't a good system and we should have a say in it all too.

Rather than the politicians concocting a system which suits them, and only then, do the public get a say.

But we elect people to make decisions on our behalf. That IS the system 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Fredderick said:

But we elect people to make decisions on our behalf. That IS the system 

It's THE SYSTEM that many people are complaining about. We are electing politicians on a system that doesn't work in a democratic way.