Council tree felling...

5 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

In America, Canada, Brazil and many other countries,  people live directly underneath trees, 4 times the size of ours which make ours look like little weeds.

Some of them probably don't have electric light.    Enjoy being a caveman, it's helping the planet and remember,  every tree is worth 100 times that of every human.

My bold. 

Yes but they don't have Toyota Corolla's to keep an eye on or neighbours to pike at. 

Edited by Baron99

On 13/05/2023 at 11:40, Organgrinder said:

In America, Canada, Brazil and many other countries,  people live directly underneath trees, 4 times the size of ours which make ours look like little weeds.

Some of them probably don't have electric light.    Enjoy being a caveman, it's helping the planet and remember,  every tree is worth 100 times that of every human.

If I weren't such a nice person I could call you a  liar for calling me a liar when I wasn't lying.  If I wasn't such a nice person I could call you nasty for saying i must be blind and if I wasn't such a nice person I could say you are narrow minded for not listening to other people's point of view.  As it is I will just assume that you are ignorant                                                                                                                                              of the problems of having to live under the "canopy".

7 hours ago, spilldig said:

If I weren't such a nice person I could call you a  liar for calling me a liar when I wasn't lying.  If I wasn't such a nice person I could call you nasty for saying i must be blind and if I wasn't such a nice person I could say you are narrow minded for not listening to other people's point of view.  As it is I will just assume that you are ignorant                                                                                                                                              of the problems of having to live under the "canopy".

Ok mate.  Glad to hear you're  such a nice person,  but you seem to have taken my remark much harder than you should have done.    I'm nobody - I'm just another bloke with a view different from yours.

I  will repeat what I actually said  -   Your eyes must be very very poor if you need lights switched on all day in summer.  Typical exaggeration.

That's still what I think .  I didn't call you a liar but I did say you were exaggerating, and I never mentioned being blind.  My eyes are poor but I don't see that as an insult   -   although I can still see when I'm under trees.

Were the trees there when you bought the house or planted after?  Trees do grow and some councils don't look after them as they should but that's not the trees fault.

Edited by Organgrinder

On 11/05/2023 at 11:20, Anna B said:

What's wrong with big trees? They're beautiful.

Also possible to pollard them to restrict their growth if required.

I know a private road where they have pollarded the trees regularly, so despite being 100+ year old lime trees they are not causing issues. But they are still decent sized trees, not the the pathetic little ‘lollipop’ varieties favoured by the council.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

Ok mate.  Glad to hear you're  such a nice person,  but you seem to have taken my remark much harder than you should have done.    I'm nobody - I'm just another bloke with a view different from yours.

I  will repeat what I actually said  -   Your eyes must be very very poor if you need lights switched on all day in summer.  Typical exaggeration.

That's still what I think .  I didn't call you a liar but I did say you were exaggerating, and I never mentioned being blind.  My eyes are poor but I don't see that as an insult   -   although I can still see when I'm under trees.

Were the trees there when you bought the house or planted after?  Trees do grow and some councils don't look after them as they should but that's not the trees fault.

You appear to be doing it yet again, r'e the red text.  One of my main hobbies is reading. I do a lot of it. I don't want to be reading a book in semi-gloom. I have no problem reading without a light on during the day in winter when the tree is bare. There is just no exaggeration so can you please stop saying that. No-one had any problem with any tree when we moved here because they were maintained every year and we then had no problem for the next 33 years until 2010 when the council stopped doing anything. All tge council have to do now is keep paying me to repair our front yard when the roots break it up and paying me money to have my sewer repaired when it breaks through that. 

34 minutes ago, spilldig said:

You appear to be doing it yet again, r'e the red text.  One of my main hobbies is reading. I do a lot of it. I don't want to be reading a book in semi-gloom. I have no problem reading without a light on during the day in winter when the tree is bare. There is just no exaggeration so can you please stop saying that. No-one had any problem with any tree when we moved here because they were maintained every year and we then had no problem for the next 33 years until 2010 when the council stopped doing anything. All tge council have to do now is keep paying me to repair our front yard when the roots break it up and paying me money to have my sewer repaired when it breaks through that. 

The text was in red to show what I originally wrote as opposed to my reply.  You seem to think that everything I do is to annoy you.. I will enlarge,  and embolden,  the text so it's easier for you to read.

I made a simple comment on one of your posts and you seem to want it to turn into a war.  We are on a public forum and the purpose is so that people can  air their views

If you don't want to hear the views of others like me,  then just ignore my posts and I will make sure I ignore yours.  This defeats the object of a forum but, if it stops you feeling persecuted then that will do.

Regarding the trees,  I said at the beginning that it was the councils fault and people have fought hard to make the council do their job.  Maybe you should have joined in that fight. 

The council should be maintaining street trees properly including pollarding where appropriate. There is some expense maintaining mature street but it’s an expense well worth paying for the environmental benefits that we all benefit from and are not just ‘a nice to have’ or for ‘tree huggers’.   
Some years ago I had a work colleague who thought the trees outside our building should be chopped down because she wasn’t happy about bird droppings landing on her car parked under them.  Soon after we had a very hot summer and everyone coming into my office commented how lovely and cool it was.  No fans or air conditioning running. This was due to the shade from the trees. Colleagues in a nearby modern building with no trees outside and big windows were sweating in the heat with fans everywhere making  no difference.  If we continue to get the hot summers we’ve had in recent years, I think anyone living close to a tree should very thankful as long as it’s structurally safe. Putting a reading light on in summer is small price to pay for a comfortable nights sleep on a hot summer night.

Edited by redruby

6 hours ago, redruby said:

The council should be maintaining street trees properly including pollarding where appropriate. There is some expense maintaining mature street but it’s an expense well worth paying for the environmental benefits that we all benefit from and are not just ‘a nice to have’ or for ‘tree huggers’.   
Some years ago I had a work colleague who thought the trees outside our building should be chopped down because she wasn’t happy about bird droppings landing on her car parked under them.  Soon after we had a very hot summer and everyone coming into my office commented how lovely and cool it was.  No fans or air conditioning running. This was due to the shade from the trees. Colleagues in a nearby modern building with no trees outside and big windows were sweating in the heat with fans everywhere making  no difference.  If we continue to get the hot summers we’ve had in recent years, I think anyone living close to a tree should very thankful as long as it’s structurally safe. Putting a reading light on in summer is small price to pay for a comfortable nights sleep on a hot summer night.

My bold. 

It's Amey's job to carry out such work in Sheffield. That's why council tax payers handed over £2.5 billion around a decade ago but this would mean Amey having to spend that money on my reoccurring maintenance.  So much easier to get rid of the trees & keep a big chunk of the billions. 

Edited by Baron99