Council tree felling...

Perhaps they should come on here and tell us, after all there are two sides to every story.

As a Nether Edge local, I am fully supportive of the need to selectively get rid of some trees. Walking down Sheldon Road with its ridiculous pavement is next to impossible. I usually just walk on the road.

As a Nether Edge local, I am fully supportive of the need to selectively get rid of some trees. Walking down Sheldon Road with its ridiculous pavement is next to impossible. I usually just walk on the road.

Whilst not a Netheredge local, I do walk up and down that road on occasion.

Hard to see how that pavement could be made level, suitable for wheelchair use, whilst maintaining access to driveways.

Look , if you lived in a house where the tree outside was blocking your light and growing up through the pavement wouldn’t you want it cut down ? They pay their council tax for this very reason.

If I was 130 years old and lived in a house where a tree had been planted outside the house I bought 100 years ago which blocked out the light, I would understandably be upset about it.

As for Sheldon Road, it's a perfect example of ongoing mismanagement. As a general supporter of the campaign to save the healthy trees of Sheffield, I have taken part in a tree protest - I do think Sheldon Road has become a mess and is one of the more extreme examples of an uneven pavement. The cherry that they felled on Wath Road however was a different story and was not growing through the pavement to a degree of causing any hazard, was not wanted down by the resident of the house it was outside, as I understand, and may in fact now cause problems with water entering the cellar in that particular area where this can be a problem alleviated by the tree's presence.

A far better solution would be (in retrospect) to remove many Sheldon Road trees, leave the ones on Wath and plant some on Wake that doesn't have any - removing the dark feeling to Sheldon Road and spreading the trees out wider.

Now, retrospective is all well and good and we can't go back in time - but nor can mismanagement be cured with a few cuts of a chainsaw and replacement saplings which seem to be far fewer than the supposed 1:1 ratio of newly planted trees to removed. The mismanagement is over decades; a true plan to resolve that would also have to be put in place over decades and is do-able if run by the council but can't be done when farmed out and sold off for quick profit for the interest of shareholders abroad rather than local residents. Which is an issue that even those wanting any particular tree down should be concerned about

Now, retrospective is all well and good and we can't go back in time

But if we could perhaps iwe could have told people it was a stupid idea to plant woodland trees in narrow footpaths,

---------- Post added 08-12-2017 at 23:53 ----------

The mismanagement is over decades

And yet STAG and all he other environmentalists didn't notice this until 2015 until it they thought it would affect the environment of their locality / right on credibility/ house prices :cool:

Edited by Longcol

Look , if you lived in a house where the tree outside was blocking your light and growing up through the pavement wouldn’t you want it cut down ? They pay their council tax for this very reason.

Well said Pattricia that is the situation that we are in. The tree outside our house has also lifted up our garden path in several places

Edited by Angela P
Spelling mistake.

But if we could perhaps iwe could have told people it was a stupid idea to plant woodland trees........

Yes.. Woodland trees.. Crazy idea... What trees would you recommend? ..non-woodland? Trees that have grown and developed in a concrete environment?

If you wander round the streets of Mayfair Bloomsbury and Marylebone you'll find lots of woodland trees over 100ft High... Lifting pavements and obscuring light.. Why do London councils and londoners love then and wish to retain them??

It is because they value the street scene, they recognise the calming influence of the green leaves, they see the historic value to these trees, the trees stand in testament to many generations that have walked those pavements, and in bearing witness to these things they legitimate London as a stable, well balanced and organised metropolis,..... This is recognised tacitly by visitors from tourists to business people.... It suggests the environment, is established and stable, is respected and cultured... And in recognising this they recognise the values that run through those who live and work in these places and see it is a good place to live and work and do business...... Quite unlike a freshly brewed emerging economy with its concrete and plastic facades and its micro manicured privet rows and controlled ornamental trees.... Such horrors suggest over bearing control and superficiality.... This is seems is what we are moving to..... An environment that serves no one and nothing but satisfying the imagined wallets of those who are due to profit at others expense

If only all sheffield residents recognised and valued Sheffield for what it is.... And hold tightly to what we have

If you wander round the streets of Mayfair Bloomsbury and Marylebone you'll find lots of woodland trees over 100ft High... Lifting pavements and obscuring light.. Why do London councils and londoners love then and wish to retain them??

It is because they value the street scene, they recognise the calming influence of the green leaves, they see the historic value to these trees, the trees stand in testament to many generations that have walked those pavements, and in bearing witness to these things they legitimate London as a stable, well balanced and organised metropolis,..... This is recognised tacitly by visitors from tourists to business people.... It suggests the environment, is established and stable, is respected and cultured... And in recognising this they recognise the values that run through those who live and work in these places and see it is a good place to live and work and do business...... Quite unlike a freshly brewed emerging economy with its concrete and plastic facades and its micro manicured privet rows and controlled ornamental trees.... Such horrors suggest over bearing control and superficiality.... This is seems is what we are moving to..... An environment that serves no one and nothing but satisfying the imagined wallets of those who are due to profit at others expense

If only all sheffield residents recognised and valued Sheffield for what it is.... And hold tightly to what we have

Have you noticed how wide the pavements in Mayfair, Marylebone and Bloomsbury are, compared to say Crookes?

Have you noticed how wide the pavements in Mayfair, Marylebone and Bloomsbury are, compared to say Crookes?

Yes...

Have a look outside the British museum.. Great Russell St.. Trees restricts pavement to less than 1.5m and this street sees over 1million tourists a year!

I love Crookes but I don't think it had quite that footfall

Yes...

Have a look outside the British museum.. Great Russell St.. Trees restricts pavement to less than 1.5m and this street sees over 1million tourists a year!

Really?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5184484,-0.1256624,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-oYNVfLZ-i8RczottNjcqA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Looks like you could drive a bus along those pavements outside the British Museum.